Photo shot of the newest ladies

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still need to check for toes. I can get a better shot later. This was done with two Great Danes desperately wanting to play with my babies. The chicks knew enough to keep safely inside.
chick1.JPG

chick2.JPG

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
they certainly looks like they are salmon faverolles! beards are a little small but i wouldn't be surprised if they fill out a little more as they get older. if you look under their creamy white breast feathers or around the butt fluff the under-fluff will be gray, they also have white skin. they're considered a dual purpose breed

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much, @Chickie'sMomaInNH. I had purchased a "Hatchery Choice" of 15 pullets that were guaranteed to include at least five different breeds. Instead, I received all Barred Rock chicks. The feed store was nice enough to trade 3 BR for the RIR and 3 BR for what you are calling Salmon Faverolles. I am still working on getting a rebate from the hatchery. I paid 50 cents more per chick for the five-breed assortment and had I ordered all barred rocks it would have cost $7.50 less.

I really like the lighter chicks. They seem more like sweethearts than the Rhode Islands and there are so many BR that I haven't been able to spot differences in personality yet.

It seems as if the chicks will get along just fine with the big girls. They have been eating beside each other with no problems, but so far the chicks haven't tried ranging very far from their home. I also haven't tried putting the chicks into the coop with the big girls. It would sure be easier to feed and house them all in one place.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beautiful chickens, @Smart Red !
This year, I hatched a bunch of golden cuckoo Marans and a few olive eggers, plus I picked up a couple Austra Whites (Australorp /white leghorn cross) at the feed store, - so far, very friendly.

Mine are enjoying roosting in the branches of the rugosa rose:
image.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@buckabucka , what are those pale gold and black pullets?
I have one Golden Cuckoo Marans, and she is a very reliable layer. I bought 5 fertile GCM eggs for my banty to brood and only got 1 hen out of it.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , the short answer is, I have no idea!

The long answer:
I have one, cleaned-legged GCM hen that I crossed with my feather-legged GCM rooster and hatched 6 eggs.
I bought 15 GCM eggs from feather-legged stock and hatched 11 eggs.
And I crossed my GCM rooster with a clean-faced (no beard or muffs) Wheaten Ameraucana to make OEs, and 3 eggs hatched.

I thought it would be easy to identify the OEs, but I have no idea which ones they are, -maybe the two in the photo? But then what is the black and white chick to their left with no apparent gold?

All the GCMs look different. I think the ones with darker coloring and just a few leg feathers are likely from my eggs, as the pullets look like mom:
image.jpg

The shipped eggs I think have more leg feathering, and they are pretty light colored like the two in the bush.
image.jpg

I haven't been able to figure out how to use the chicken calculator to figure out what GCM x wheaten Ameraucana should look like. I suppose I'll find out when they lay eggs!

Latest posts