Photobucket cancels free hosting

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet (PC magazine click)

PB alternatives (Ghack click)

Steve
Thanks Steve, that helps. The article confirms my own suspicions about Flickr, so I doubt I will go that route. I still hold out hope that all the negative PR & loss of clients will cause PB to reconsider their actions, and restore the millions of links that they disabled. Not holding my breath waiting for that, though, and they have lost my future business regardless.

I have already been thinking of setting up a site of my own for several years; so if I'm going to pay for hosting my photos, that might be the safest & most cost-effective solution at this point. I'm not web savvy in that regard, so I will need to consult a pro, and see who has the most user-friendly setup.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, @digitS' , that was very helpful! I went back to Zeedman's tiger lily post and right clicked "view image" and it opened on the Photobucket site. Then when I went back to the post, the image was still there, because now it is in my computer's cashe. I hadn't seen it before, just knew what the tiger lilies looked like because we used to have one on the farm.

Also, that article reminds me, I have free web hosting through my DSL provider. I will see if that is a practical option instead. The thing I liked about PB was that it was easy and convenient to link to. I hope the fallout will cause them to reconsider! I would buy a plan if it were something like $2.99 a month. I wouldn't like it, but that would be reasonable. $399/year is NOT.

Another aside, also in my search for new options, I discovered that Google has seamlessly merged Picasa with their Google Photos storage. Picasa held most of the photos I had uploaded for my blog. Those links have not been broken.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
WOW!! Glad I saved all of those pictures somewhere else. Never been happy with them, ANYWAY!!! 1/2 the time things would work, 1/2 the time it took forever to load and I would have to go back and fix my photo labels bc the software took the label from the previous picture. Good riddance to mediocre rubbish.

Latest posts