Picked Up 1st Tree of Season

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am running out of room in the orchard, was going to be very selective of any new trees. last night I stopped at home depot, I could not believe they had 3 Asian pears. I have never seen Asian pear trees in big box stores. I picked up a Shinseiki ultra dwarf, hope the labels correct, grower is Vigoro.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So this is going to be a patio container tree? Sounds like fun to me!
You should have picked up another one of a different variety too so you could have a cross pollenizer.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
No going to plant in ground. Planted 2 last spring, where covered in pears. Then every pear disappeared, I didn't even get to taste one. I have a chain link dog run I am going to surround them in, then cover chain link with chicken wire.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you like asian pears? I just sold mine. I discovered that I liked Fuyu persimmons much more. What are you going to do with all your fruit once those trees start producing?

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet he feeds lots of wildlife when they produce
@ninnymary We usually do. Deer get the dropped fruit and some they can reach before we get to it. :(

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, my neighbor planted 3 cherry trees. He figured 2 were for the birds and one for him. Well 2 of those trees died and now he has to share. :D Last year some animal took a bite of every apple on my tree. This year I bought these nylon type bags that are meant for coddling moths. I hope those protect them from nibbling animals too!

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew an asian pear because they were $2.99 each at store and I also liked them. Turned out that I fell in love with Fuyu so I had to have a tree. Because my space is limited someone had to go and it was the asian pear.

I have no problem replacing things in my garden even if they are young trees. I was able to sell it for what I paid for it. Of course, it drives my husband crazy when I do this. :confused: He claims I never let my trees mature which is not true. It wasn't my fault that my Mission figs stayed hard and never matured. So I replaced it with another fig, Violette de Beaurdex which I love. :love

Mary

frontiergirl53

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've never had a chance to try many trees, just TONS of citrus. (We have so many citrus trees in our area, we WISH the wildlife would eat them!) I am ordering 2 elderberry trees right now, the dwarf kind. I wish I could grow figs and cherries in our area!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
@frontiergirl53 I wish I could grow citrus trees !!!!!!!!! I have 3 small potted that I have to bring inside every fall. Figs are a desert tree, there has to be a variety that will produce fruit in Arizona. I to wish I could grow cherry trees, after killing 10th I stopped counting how many died on me.

Latest posts