Picked up some mints

tifsgarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Went to the nursery on friday and went a little crazy buying a few different mint plants.I make extracts so I thought I would experiment.
I got Pineapple Mint, Spearmint, Chocolate Mint and I did get that Pineapple Sage I posted about last week-I can't wait to see how this one tastes in a few dishes I make.Are any of these mints going to take over my herb garden or harm my chickens or ducks if they get into that part of the garden? :D

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mints will definitely want to take over, they should be restrained, either in a bed with deep sides (they can root under shallow borders), or you can place them in a largish (say 2 gallon, maybe 1 ) nursery container and sink that to about 1 or 2 inches of the rim. They are pungent enough that I doubt the chickens or ducks will be much interested, and I'm guessing, but I don't think they'll be harmed by a nibble or two.
....just checked a list for plants toxic to chickens and mentha is not on it ...so I think your safe!

How do you make extracts? I have a lot of mint and would like to try it if you'll share a bit..(pretty please? )

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chocolate mint in my backyard makes particularly aggressive growth, Tif'. However, it must have problems with the winter cold here. Each of the 2 winters that I have had chocolate mint - it has had quite a bit of die-back. That probably won't happen in Everett.

My chickens just completely ignore the mints.

Steve

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes they will take over.My coco mint was growing in the grass.Same with the spearmint. It DID smell nice when I cut the lawn,but it will crowd out other plants.

I would do pots or a seperate mint flower bed.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep Peppermint, Spearmint, Chocolate, Apple, Pineapple, Lebanese, Kentucky Colonel, Ginger (yellow/green variegated), Orange Mint, and Corsican (creme de menthe) not Winter hardy. They are all unique with distinct flavors.... I love the Ginger mint in Oriental cooking. The variegated Pineapple mint along with the pineapple sage, makes a wonderful tea...esp. if you add some of the Pineapple Sage's very sweet, red flowers to it. The mixes and blends to make wonderful teas are endless.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Chocolate mint in my backyard makes particularly aggressive growth, Tif'. However, it must have problems with the winter cold here. Each of the 2 winters that I have had chocolate mint - it has had quite a bit of die-back.
Mine dies back to the ground every winter, which is a good thing, or it would be the only plant on the property here! It is almost worse than catnip for me, and that's saying something.

Mint extract (the cooking type) is just a whole lotta well-washed mint leaves crushed and squooshed into a small amount of strong flavorless alcohol e.g. vodka and left to 'extract' for a few weeks or so. Then strain and discard the vegetation.

I expect there is some way to make an oil extract of mint as well, i.e. mint oil, but I dunno bout that.

Me, though, I just use the regular mint fresh in salads and tabbouleh and lemonade, and the chocolate mint chopped up into brownies (have to clarify for guests what the leaflike stuff in the brownies is... <rolling of eyes>), and the other mints I mostly just grow for my own entertainment while weeding or walking by.

Pat

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine dies back too, Pat, and as you say, it is a good thing!! I was just cutting off the dead stuff, from my chocolate mint yesterday. So, I am carrying a bunch of dead twigs in my hand- making Dh smell them! Even dead and under the snow for months, it still smelled delish! I am going to try and dry some this year- to add to herbal teas in the winter. Love the idea of adding the chocolate to brownies! I am going to try spotted mint this year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a farm field of mint not far from here now. My understanding is that it is harvested and sent to a processing plant for oil extraction.

During harvest, you can smell the mint for miles :)! Well, a mile anyway.

There are quite a few acres of mint in eastern Oregon. I actually think that the plants are more happy somewhere with moist environment but for oil production, maybe it is best growing in arid conditions.

Steve

Latest posts