Picked up some mints

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is where our zone designations would help. If there was some consistency to defining plant hardiness by the industry :rolleyes:.

I was looking at the on-line nurseries and what they consider the hardiness zones for their French tarragon. It runs from 6 to 3!

Arp rosemary is from Arp, Texas and is supposed to be more hardy than other varieties. (How's that for a name, "Arp" :p?) I'm not sure why that would be but it had no chance in my yard. Rosemary isn't entirely happy covered on the floor of my unheated greenhouse but outdoors, I don't think it made it thru December.

Steve
who has frost in his "zone 5" yard for the 2nd time this week :/

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our weather has been dark and rainy- but no more frost- so far! I am trying rosemary for the first time this year...I guess I will have to winter that over in the greenhouse. When you bring things like that into the greenhouse, how often do you water?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, the rosemary may be watered once or even, not at all thru the depths of winter.

As late winter approaches, another watering until it begins to show signs of growth.

Steve

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've tried Arp rosemary many times, it never makes it. I don't know where they got the zone 5 hardiness designation.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two cities in Texas have the highest incidents of dog bites, the US Postal Service tells us.

Just sayin' . . .

digitS'
:hide

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Perhaps the type plant for the variety was simply growing in a very favorable location in the no-doubt-beauteous town of Arp?

Both my sister and mother have successfully overwintered rosemary (dunno what variety) in USDA zones 6/7 without trouble. My sister (in zone 6b at the time) has also repeatedly *failed* to overwinter the exact same rosemary elsewhere on the property. The difference? Whether it was right near the south wall of a brick-faced building.

I think it's a big big mistake for anyone to get hung up on temperature or zone numbers, especially for woody plants. Your particular situation matters so much. IMO your choices are either a) err on side of conservatism and probably have most things make it, tho missing out on growing a number of things; or b) try all sorts of things til you get a better sense of what types of plants survive or don't, which means you may have some pleasant surprises BUT will also waste a good bit of money/time/space; or combine one or the other of the above with looking at what other people in your immediate area can grow in comparable sites.

And then sometimes you'll be surprised, both good and bad, ANYhow :p

(x10 fforor things that are perennial underground rather than being woody plants :p )

Pat

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not hung up on zones, I'm well aware of the effects of microclimates on plant survival - with the precautions I've practiced over the past two winters I've successfully kept a cardoon alive and well. I know of a rosemary that grows in front of the pillar of a garage, in a well cut out of the concrete - the perfect heat sink for it. However, put it out in the herb garden, in the wide open, it will die here.

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've had a terrible time starting mint from seed- and even just getting some of the "specialty" mints- they fly out of stock!! Good luck with them!

Latest posts