Picking cucumbers

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, 5/17/2010, I picked my first Telegraph Improved Cucumber. To encourage production I picked it when it was only 10 inches in length, however, the average size of these cucumbers can run to 14 inches. I think that going forward this is going to be my standard greenhouse cucumber, as I have had a lot better luck with this one than previous varieties I have grown.

51810.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They look wonderful! I bet its hard just finding the right one to stand up the greenhouse growing life style. I wouldn't know where to begin. :D

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
They look wonderful! I bet its hard just finding the right one to stand up the greenhouse growing life style. I wouldn't know where to begin. :D
For greenhouse growing you really should select a variety that the female flower does not need to be pollinated. Hand pollination is a chore. :(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
jackb said:
vfem said:
For greenhouse growing you really should select a variety that the female flower does not need to be pollinated. Hand pollination is a chore. :(
I hand pollinated my fruit trees this year and my first round of tomato blooms. I wanted to ensure the correct pollination. Like my peaches and pears needed to be pollinated correctly from one tree to another... and my heirloom tomatoes, I need to make sure I don't cross pollinate so I can keep true seeds for next year from my first tomato harvest. (Then I let them go after that on their own so I can just eat and not save seed!)

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
jackb said:
vfem said:
I hand pollinated my fruit trees this year and my first round of tomato blooms. I wanted to ensure the correct pollination. Like my peaches and pears needed to be pollinated correctly from one tree to another... and my heirloom tomatoes, I need to make sure I don't cross pollinate so I can keep true seeds for next year from my first tomato harvest. (Then I let them go after that on their own so I can just eat and not save seed!)
These cucumber seeds are more expensive than regular cucumber seeds, however, they are not a hybrid; so I am going to let one fully ripen at the end of the season, and save the seeds. :D

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice cukes jackb! ;) I'll be planting the same variety, let us know how they taste.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like your cukes. I planted Richmonds green apple cuke from Bakers Creek this year (and a lemon one but it has not produced anything). And they are great tasting crisp fresh. And oh so cute little fat things. So my point is I wonder. Do I like the look of the little fat cuke or do I want more cuke for my seed?

Like i had to eat three today. And that was probably the amount of one of my straight eights. But they are oh so cute.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I like your cukes. I planted Richmonds green apple cuke from Bakers Creek this year (and a lemon one but it has not produced anything). And they are great tasting crisp fresh. And oh so cute little fat things. So my point is I wonder. Do I like the look of the little fat cuke or do I want more cuke for my seed?

Like i had to eat three today. And that was probably the amount of one of my straight eights. But they are oh so cute.
I planted the lemon cucumbers a few years ago, and though they looked fine, we thought they were rather bland. Very little taste. Hopefully your soil will make a difference. I have not tried them in the greenhouse as pollination would be a chore.:/

At the rate these are growing my wife and I will both have to eat a foot of cucumber each a day to keep up.:lol:

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gorgeous cukes, Jack! I got sucked into the cute factor on the lemon cukes, too. They really didn't impress me as very tasty...Maybe it is our upstate NY soil!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Nice cukes jackb! ;) I'll be planting the same variety, let us know how they taste.
Well we have picked about ten feet of these at this point, and they are fantastic. The center core of seeds is tiny and they are very firm and tasty. Thinly sliced and mixed with onion, tomatoes and basil they make a terrific salad.

However, I am beginning to know how Jack of the Beanstalk fame felt as they are now growing over the top of the greenhouse and soon will be going down the other side. But that is OK, as the tomatoes look like they will meet them in the center and pass them on their way down to the cucumber side.:p

060210.jpg

Latest posts