Pickle Trellis... She couldn't wait!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles, you know what a friend of mine says? You know you are getting old, when you bend down to tie your shoe- and you look around - and think, is there anything else I should do, when I am down here!!
I believe it really helps to stay bent down, rather than up and down. If it makes sense with what I am doing- I just stay down!

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The ground has been getting farther away for years! I don't even want to think about gardening in a motorized chair yet, although it will happen and we will do it.

As for adding more layers, the good soil goes down about 1' from the timbers. Several other beds were constructed in late spring and are not doing as well. They are doing but I know next year and the following years will be better. The goal here is to build on what we have available to use and try not to spend $$$.

This garden has been a work in progress since we bought the property 9+ years ago and will be for some time to come. We just love knowing that we will always feel like a novice gardeners, because when dealing with nature there is always something that is being taught to you. ;)

berry_Bob

Leafing Out
Reaction score
got a ? does those come apart ? you dont plant cucumbers in the same spot every year ,, very nice setup

Bob

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
At the end of the growing season all it takes is backing out a few screws and then it gets stored behind the trees on the north side of the garden. I will say though the next time we build one it will be long before it is needed and will get a coat or two of sealant. Unfortunately this had to be built before the plants got too big. Where does the time go? :lol:

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
7434_8-1-2011_006.jpg

If you build it, they will climb. Been getting about 8 quarts a week between dill and bread & butter. This should pick up a lot soon. :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup The large holes in that wire probably make for easy picking too. Good work!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really like your design... I might have to borrow that for next year...but make it a bit shorter as I am only 5'2" and couldnt reach that high to pick the cukes....

edited to ask about the wood they look like they are thin slats??? did you cut then your selves or get them at the store I really like the design...

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The fencing is recycled from last years garden and it does making harvesting easier. The first version was "A" frame style and was just too much. This is working well although once again we planted a few too many seeds, but at least the ground around the bed is not flooded with extra vines because we have been trying to get all the vines going up instead of out. Now if the weather could just chill out a little!:)

Latest posts