Pickled Peppers yesterday

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just thought I would show what I did yesterday

PickledPeppers.jpg

Although the peppers look hot they are not. The rings are sweet banana and the long peppers are called Mt. Harmony. I did add red pepper flakes to the banana peppers and one jalapano to the Mt. Harmony peppers. I also put 4 full trays of banana in the dehydrator that reduced down to a quart jar and will do 4 more trays today.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Why are you dehydrating banana peppers? I do it with hot but haven't ever with sweet or mild and just wondered.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow4Food, I use them in meatloaf, goatburgers, vegetable and chicken soups, and stews. I have never been able on this farm to grown good bell peppers, but banana and the Mt. Harmony and jalapanos and hopefully next year Anahime peppers do great.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Do you get much flavor out of a dried banana pepper?

My Anahiems did really well this year and I as well didn't have much bell pepper luck. I might have to dry some of them just to play.

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Do you have a recipe then for pickled peppers? I have a TON like bowls and bowls of jalepenos and cayennes that I need to figure out something to do with. Can I freeze them? Anything that requires the least amount of work cause after my husband's car accident I'm really busy with the three little ones, him and then being very pregnant. Thanks so much I appreciate it and dont mean to steal your thread!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beautiful peppers!

Just a word of caution on canning. I'm sure you're all a lot smarter than I am, but I'll pass it on in case you don't know... Wear gloves!!! I foolishly did not while I canned jalapeno, cayenne and habaneros. I quite literally could not sleep that entire night because the pain from the burns was so bad!

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
As far as a recipe goes, I could not find one that I liked, so I made my own. I used ACV and for spices in the banana rings I used red pepper flakes dill, garlic, mustard and celery seed and salt. 1/4 teaspoon each. Don't know what they are going to taste like but, it has all the stuff I like. For the Mt. Harmony peppers I did the same but left out the pepper flakes and put a whole jalapeo in each jar.

The act of drying the banana peppers seems to intensify the flavor. When I dry them I cut the larger ones into Th's and the smaller ones into Th's cause they really dry up to nothing, then I crush them into smaller bits for burgers and such.

You could make jalapeo rings and leave the cayennes hole. And oh yes me&thegals is right, do wear gloves when doing jalapeos, a box of 50 or so disposable gloves can be had at wallyworld for not a lot of money.

As far as freezing I guess you can, I used to freeze the banana peppers, before I got the dehydrator.

Latest posts