Pics of my herb garden, growing well.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
These pics were taken yesterday. In one tub (former ice chests) I've got Italian parsley, sweet basil, oregano and chives growing. In the other tub I've got sage, thyme, rosemary and dill. My little bay laurel tree has officially died. I'll have to get another one next year, hopefully a bigger one.

013-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just started an herb garden, but i cheated. I bought some grown plants from the nursery. I am however going to be attempting chives on my own.

I've never had success with small seeds, including lettuce. I'm hoping to break the trend. But anywho...

I have anise, two types of oregano, one with furry large thick leaves, and one with much smaller leaves, then theres the mint, and parsley. They've been in the herb garden for 5 days now and are looking good.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi bluerose, If you want a cheap bay laurel tree why don't you beg a few cuttings of a friend and poke them into the ground or round the edge of a large pot. They take very easily, especially if you start them in the Spring. I take 12''-14'' cuttings, pull off the leaves from the bottom third, then also scrape a bit of the bark off the same area ( this helps it throw out roots quickly). Make sure the bottom third is all covered by the soil, water every now & then. I use this method for cuttings of my climbing & shrub roses too. I basically ignore them other than watering occasionally & in the heat of summer I do put up a piece of shade cloth. I have my all my cuttings in a large deep old kitchen sink, filled with a mixture of grit & garden soil. Good Luck! Hattie

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dbjay417 said:
I just started an herb garden, but i cheated. I bought some grown plants from the nursery. I am however going to be attempting chives on my own.

I've never had success with small seeds, including lettuce. I'm hoping to break the trend. But anywho...

I have anise, two types of oregano, one with furry large thick leaves, and one with much smaller leaves, then theres the mint, and parsley. They've been in the herb garden for 5 days now and are looking good.
I don't think it is fair to call buying plants cheating. I used to buy all of my plants. Now I grow my own but buy the seeds. Next year I think I am going to go with strickly heirloom and buy very little seeds. Like our gardens we have to grow into awesome gardeners. :happy_flower

Good luck with your herbs.

Latest posts