Pics of Worm Bin and Worms!

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My parents have 2 worm bins. First pic is the outside of one. The other pics are of the various layers that the worms move through.

3439792381_c3027a7257.jpg

3440606994_0433696af1.jpg

3439794213_4f26bd8c27.jpg

3440606260_8fb2c55ced.jpg

3439794515_7e70e4170a.jpg

3440609252_70ee74774e.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is super cool.... but creepy all in one! I know how good worms are, and I collect them from the yard to put in beds and my compost... but they still freak me out!!!! :lol:

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow that is wonderful :clap I really want to have a worm bin. :love
What kind is that one or where can you find it? Are they hard to maintain? I have thought of building one, would it be easy to build one ?
I understand they need to be in a semi shaded area. As to not get too hot.. I know I am full of questons :duc

My Dad use to have a bait & Tackle shop and get a regular shippment of worms in all the time he kept them in an old fridge in a cooler box.

Hey thanks for the info and photos :clap :celebrate

:happy_flower Karan :D

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
Wow that is wonderful :clap I really want to have a worm bin. :love
What kind is that one or where can you find it?
It's called the Worm Factory. They like to be in the dark and damp at about 65F to 70F.

Catalina, how do I know when to add another tray - I'm only on my first!
The worms move up away from their waste (poop) and onto the next tray of food.
After they've moved from a tray - after they've eaten and processed a tray of food scraps into poop - you can remove the tray.

They like damp newspaper with food scraps mixed/buried into it.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do I have to use the coir fiber in the next tray for them to move up or can I just shred some newspaper and put food on the top? I don't have another brick and really don't want to order and pay for shipping if I can use something else!

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
Do I have to use the coir fiber in the next tray for them to move up or can I just shred some newspaper and put food on the top? I don't have another brick and really don't want to order and pay for shipping if I can use something else!
You can just use shredded paper. My parents have never used coir fiber. My mom gets bags and bags of shredded paper from work and full newspaper sheets work well on top to hold in moisture and block light.

edited: sorry can't spell straight...

havi

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I buying one of these for myself at christmas. DH asked what I wanted(we shop early) and I told him The Worm Factory. He just rolled his eyes and laughed. Muttered something along the lines of most women want jewelry, but Im asking for worms. :lol:

Latest posts