Piedmont Triad of NC here to say Hello!

MatthewsHomestead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So I grew up gardening next to my pop in a 25x50 garden plot, we had blueberry bushes and huge old scuppernong vines. We had peonies next to the house, a few rose bush/trees(?) And a couple dogwoods. My favorite was our birch and magnolia trees.
Fast forward to present day, about 16-18years later, and I am finally starting to get back to nature. My husband and I own a small hobby farm with chickens, ducks, rabbits, quail, pheasants, goats, pigs, a horse and hopefully some turkeys. We have three boys 4,6,and 10. And our garden this year is better than last year's attempt. We actually have things we are harvesting! This year, we did tomatoes, yellow red and green peppers, banana peppers, jalapeño, serranos, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, carrots, snow peas, and watermelon. It's been a lot of fun but also a jig learning curve this year. I think that I will definitely be planning a raised bed next year instead. And I'm working on a composting box for all the manure and dead foliage..... I also have mint, lavender, cilantro, basil, and parsley in pots. They started in the garden but I've started tearing out a few plants that are done so I've pulled them where they won't be harmed for now. Other than that we don't have much else going on in the plant department at the time. I'm hoping to learn some tricks to the trade to get my yellowy green thumb to a leprechaun green!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I grew up gardening next to my pop in a 25x50 garden plot, we had blueberry bushes and huge old scuppernong vines. We had peonies next to the house, a few rose bush/trees(?) And a couple dogwoods. My favorite was our birch and magnolia trees.
Fast forward to present day, about 16-18years later, and I am finally starting to get back to nature. My husband and I own a small hobby farm with chickens, ducks, rabbits, quail, pheasants, goats, pigs, a horse and hopefully some turkeys. We have three boys 4,6,and 10. And our garden this year is better than last year's attempt. We actually have things we are harvesting! This year, we did tomatoes, yellow red and green peppers, banana peppers, jalapeño, serranos, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, carrots, snow peas, and watermelon. It's been a lot of fun but also a jig learning curve this year. I think that I will definitely be planning a raised bed next year instead. And I'm working on a composting box for all the manure and dead foliage..... I also have mint, lavender, cilantro, basil, and parsley in pots. They started in the garden but I've started tearing out a few plants that are done so I've pulled them where they won't be harmed for now. Other than that we don't have much else going on in the plant department at the time. I'm hoping to learn some tricks to the trade to get my yellowy green thumb to a leprechaun green!

welcome to the forums here at TEG. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, I’m glad you came over here! We moved to 8 acres 3 years ago and have been having a blast. Don’t get discouraged, new ground gardens take awhile to get going. Our soil is like beach sand, it has taken a lot of compost! This is a friendly bunch, we love to help others with their gardens. And we love to admire PICTURES! Yes, we will ooh and aah over piles of composting manure, seedlings breaking ground, freshly tilled up dirt and all things garden. So glad to have you here!

Latest posts