Pile o' wood....opinions please!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
6486_dscf2584.jpg

I found some nice scraps of 2x8's in the burn pile on my Dad's farm yesterday and of course I made my DH load 'em up! My brother has been doing some work on the neighbor's farm up the road and it appears to be what's left of an old shed or something. I am not surprised my brother cut them up into little pieces and planned to burn them! :rolleyes:

What I am wondering is, do you guys think these would be ok to use for a raised garden bed? They are probably treated lumber (the boards they are nailed to are quite decayed, but they are not). Does anyone know if the chemicals would have leached out by now, or will they always be toxic? I will find some use for them either way, but they are just the perfect width for a raised bed!

I wanted old rough cut oak and I've been keeping my eyes peeled for some to salvage, but so far, no luck.... I'm wanting to put all my everbearing strawberries in a raised bed this year for easier management.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You better not use them. Send me directions to your house and I'll be glad to come, get them and dispose of them for you.:D

I'd use em in a heartbeat. Even if it's treated a lot has already "leached" out, I'm sure.
If it's not the bright green color of the old type treatment......I'll use it.

I ain't skeert.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL, yeah I'm just hoping enough time has past. I thought maybe even turning the weathered sides inward would help. Too nice to pass up!

I will struggle with this in my sleep I am sure! :gig

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
LOL, yeah I'm just hoping enough time has past. I thought maybe even turning the weathered sides inward would help. Too nice to pass up!

I will struggle with this in my sleep I am sure! :gig
Know what you mean...it'd probably take me every bit of three minutes to fall asleep.:lol:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's too funny! My husband would have burned them... but I we had gotten the same stuff from an old worn deck. We built our raised beds with those. :D AND a chicken coop!!! :weight