Pinapple Sage is Awesome!

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have enjoyed cooking with it already. It rained 2.5" so I am not walking into the garden. Here is a picture of the plant though. View attachment 41473
It looks very healthy. The more you pinch the tips the bushier it will get. Mine got over 5 feet tall and almost that round! I didnt grow any this year because I have a lot dried that I need to use up.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like something we’d like; however we’re a bit “out of the zone”, and i dont want more “special needs stuff” in the greenhouse.

one year some mint and sage got combined during the drying process (my poor tagging) and it was wonderful. To the point we’ve made that boo-bo several times since then, on purpose!

Another sleeper for us was Rosemary, good ole in your stuffing Rosemary also makes a great stand alone tea! One of those “leave you with a warm comfortable feeling” after drinking it!

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
PXL_20210621_000649599_resize_35.jpg

I blended pineapple thyme and basil into panko and used it on some tenderized chicken and fresh picked jalapenos I stuffed. Steamed some beans from the garden as well, with brown basmati rice.

Last edited:

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Will it overwinter or do you replant in the spring? I had a big Rosemary bush that I planted some 6 years ago, but the -6F degrees we had last winter took it out. I miss my Rosemary Focaccia bread!
It is perennial here to 20f so maybe I will be able to find a south wall for it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Some 8-10 years ago differently scented sages/mints were ALL THE RAGE. Today, they seem to be hard to find.
I never purchased scented sages, but I DO have peppermints, spearmints, and chocolate mints, and, if I really loved chocolate I would be cooking with it bc it's VERY nice smelling.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Will it overwinter or do you replant in the spring? I had a big Rosemary bush that I planted some 6 years ago, but the -6F degrees we had last winter took it out. I miss my Rosemary Focaccia bread!
Was it the rosemary variety ARP? Im told this kind can stand cold winters way better than other rosemary varieties.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked into Arp rosemary years ago and the cold-hardiness seemed somewhat overstated. Apparently, it remains a popular choice but is only a little more hardy than the other choices.

In my unheated greenhouse each winter, and covered with a tarp during the coldest weather, is Rosemary Rex. About the only negative thing that I find with that variety is something that I mentioned to @Pulsegleaner on another thread -- its nice, upright stems do not grow quite sturdy enough for use as skewers. I have little doubt that it would develop stronger branches in a longer growing season. After many years, the plant was replaced in 2020, same variety :).

I almost thought to not respond after reading @Dahlia 's and @baymule 's comments. But, while scrolling back to the top, an IHOP ad showed up in the right column. A "minion" and kids eat free. Happy faces ... dances with pancakes!

Okay, that's appealing :). Why in Heaven's name do some people come up with unappealing identifiers for varieties?? I will not mention some that are even worse - it's breakfast time. Maybe pancakes!

Arp? Okay, I had a nice meal, maybe ate too much. Leave the restaurant, sit down behind the wheel for the drive home. ARP ! Look over at DW and in the mirror at the guests in the back seat. "OH, Excuse me!"

😳 Steve

Latest posts