Pineapples from the greenhouse

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I am a copycat Cat. You said I would need patience, but I thought I would speed up the process, so I ordered a plant on eBay. I thought I would get a tiny plant, but I was totally surprised when I opened the box today. The plant is a Kona Sugarloaf and only cost me $5.99 plus shipping. It is supposed to have been grown by tissue culture. At some point I intend to start my own plant though. Also, as I can not bear the thought of going six months without the taste a homegrown tomato, I have one of them going also.
jackb

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jackb, since you already grow just about everything, can you grow a mango tree for me? ;) I LOVE mangos and rarely do I get a good one from the stores.

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, what a wonderful story! My daughter used pineapples in her wedding decorations and planted them in Florida. The hope is they will be ready for the 1 year anniversary. In Florida it is very easy to grow them. Just pop the top in the dirt and forget about it. Enjoy yours!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I am a copycat Cat. You said I would need patience, but I thought I would speed up the process, so I ordered a plant on eBay. I thought I would get a tiny plant, but I was totally surprised when I opened the box today. The plant is a Kona Sugarloaf and only cost me $5.99 plus shipping. It is supposed to have been grown by tissue culture. At some point I intend to start my own plant though. Also, as I can not bear the thought of going six months without the taste a homegrown tomato, I have one of them going also.
jackb

It is very different looking from mine which came from the top of a grocery store plant many moons ago. And aren't we all copycats? I think it might still take quite a while.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are going to Aldis tomorrow and I will be looking for a pineapple. What a mixture: olives, figs, coffee, and now pineapple. Oh, I almost forgot ninnymary's mango.