Pineapples from the greenhouse

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
2 pineapples.jpg
My 2 pineapples are finally ready. I keep them in the greenhouse all year and move them outdoors in the summer. Their sweet smell fills the house. Can you southerners grow them outdoors?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
What? I didn't know you grew them cat. Wished you would have documented their growth. Did you start them with pineapple tops?

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew one from a pineapple top and it got so big I didn't have room for it. Darn thing stabbed me every time I got close to it. I finally just disposed of it. It didn't set fruit during the time I had it. I guess it takes a couple of years to get started?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are picture from the past here but, I am finding old posts hard to locate. Some would call it a sun room but, it is a great grower of anything I want. it is not heated per say. It is attached to the house, faces due south and is well insulated. In the past before changes it never froze without heat added but got down to 40. I now keep it open to the rest of the house via a door. It gets to 80 at least on a sunny winter day. Heat must be added but I am sure we gain much more than we lose. We have an attic fan in it that pulls out heat in the summer. I will post pictures when it is back in business.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have told my pineapple story here before. My parents are gone, 13 and 15 years, now. They were great parents and extraordinary Grandparents. Their love story will be told in the family for generations. It was always a party when they came to visit. No, they did not bring gifts for their grandchildren but my kids always acted like it was Christmas. They brought the greatest love with them for every visit.
So, the pineapple. We ate a feast every time they came and sometimes we had fresh pineapple. I dried and planted the tops and have kept it going all of these years. I now have a half dozen or so plants stuffed into 2 big pots. I will take these tops and stick them in with the rest. In a couple years they will reward me again. My family will come over and share in their exquisite sweetness.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, that's probably the big reason I didn't put up with being stabbed by mine very long. It didn't have any story to it; certainly not the great story yours has. So great that you have kept it going all these years!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great story, Cat. I hope your kids will keep them going someday. An edible memory and green heritage. :)

Latest posts