Pinning it to a Cloud

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know what I'm talking about but . . . has that ever stopped me before?!

"Infacetious, of course, but a man of his word and that word is - unreliable ؟ "

I've been having a little fun with Pinterest since DD suggested that I go on the site last fall. But, one thing that I'd like to be able to do online is store things - most everything! Of course, I don't wanna pay any $$ for this service :rolleyes:. Pinterest is free and it gives me the chance to take images from the internet or from my own computer and put them on a webpage or 2.

Smiles' questions about Pinterest gave me a chance to say something about my exploration of Clipboard. It allows you to copy webpages or parts of webpages (both images & text) wherever you find them. I can not only post an image with its link to Clipboard but I can also post a letter or even write a letter. It is private "by default." It did take me going back 3 times before I could figure out how to move things to separate boards, however! There is a bit of a learning curve for this old guy, you know!

Not satisfied with trying Clipboard (& I almost deleted my account over the clip-moving frustrations :p), I went off to Evernote. Evernote has been around the longest of these things, I guess. It reminds me a little of an emailbox. Clips appear as a list but you can have a small image & description appear beside the title. It lacks the "look" of Pinterest or Clipboard but does everything that Clipboard does. Yep, I can put documents &/or write letters there. I can also send texts & pictures from my cellphone. And no, I don't have a smartphone.

That's something that these things allow you to do. Because you have the information in "the Cloud" - you can go there with any computer or smartphone. And, there the clips stay - in you personal space on the cloud.

How private are they? Well, how private is your emailbox? Fact is, you could send and save emails & attachments to an emailbox and call that good enuf. Of course, that kind of thinking is what got General Petraeus in trouble ;). However, there is so much stuff in the folders of emails, I'd have trouble finding & keeping track of things stored in my mailbox! I don't know. My computer itself is vulnerable to losing stuff and not just because it is cluttered. Making copies to CD's isn't very handy or very secure.

Anyway, I've been having fun and wanted to share. Also, I didn't want to trouble Smiles anymore with my quirkiness :D.

digitS'

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use cloud for phone backup. It's easy. Not sure how safe it is.

For saving things from computer, I buy $4 4-8G thumb drives and save things there. Real simple, cheap, and safe.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That makes sense, Seedcorn!

I have only bought 2 thumbdrives. One didn't work!!

Well anyway, I use the other one for carrying stuff from one computer to the other.

Just clipped this while I was getting in some exercise:

ATT44875811.gif

:)

digitS'

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always wondered about those goofy commercials on TV about "The Cloud" I never knew what it was for. I also use
thumb drives I use to save documents and such.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now, you know - I have no idea what I'm talking about.

It may not be "the cloud," just a cloud, or maybe not a cloud, at all.

I have just read something that described all of these things as clouds . . . (And, certainly, anything that doesn't have captioning goes right past me from the teevee. You'd be surprised how some ads that I've seen again and again have no meaning with regards to any product.)

:idunno

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of thumb drives but they weren't quite big enough for all of my files...mostly DSLR pics, video and documents. DH got me a terrabyte drive for Christmas and that's holding my backups for now. But that still doesn't solve the problem of what if the house burned down. :/

I've been using Photobucket for image sharing. I also have a Shutterfly acct., but keep it for family. I'm gonna go check out Clipboard since you can put docs on there too. I don't like that everybody on my FB can see my Pinterest either.

Sometimes I have my head in the clouds. That could be the problem. :lol:

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I don't like that everybody on my FB can see my Pinterest either.
I think what you mean is that when you pin to Pinterest, a link on your Facebook timeline is being automatically posted that says you pinned something... right?

If so, change the settings on Facebook to restricted what's posted on your Facebook timeline.

To do this on Facebook:

Click on the little "LOCK" icon in the upper right corner next to your name and Home link.
When the short list of three things pops up, click SEE MORE SETTINGS at the bottom.
When the More Setting page loads, on the left side of the page click the APPS link.
Any Apps you currently use and have synced w/ Facebook will be listed. You can then choose what type of audience you want each app to have.

For example:
I have Pinterest set to Only Me.
I have NetWorkedBlogs set to Friends, since this is the app I use to auto publish my blogs posts to my facebook wall.
Any game apps I use are set to Only Me, so my scores and activity aren't shared on my facebook wall.

Hope this helps! :) Oh, and if that's not what you meant, well then, never mind. *LOL*

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"I love the internet
Wild, lewd, bawdy, bullying, smelling of cats."
from a poem I read recently ;). There's more to the poem but nothing very pragmatic, as you can imagine . . .

I gave up on Facebook several years ago. Facebook doesn't seem to believe that I'm not just dying to get back to it tho' :rolleyes:.

As I said on Smiles' thread, much of this stuff is very new. Apparently, Pinterest didn't have the private boards until November. I don't find them pragmatically useful since any Pinterest pins are just for images.

Something Evernote has, and I've only just used it once, is a way to "encrypt" what you put in a note. This sounds all very secretive but it doesn't really seem to be. After you have written your note (or, copy & pasted it. or, drug it into the box), you do a little right click and give it a password.

Evernote suggests that you could keep your passwords encrypted . . :/. This seems a little too cryptic. You would have a list of passwords but need a password to get to it . . . signing in and out of Evernote takes a password, too. Maybe I won't do that sort of thing - just yet. But, if you open that encrypted note, all you see is a little box with a lock on it :cool:. If you touch it, you're asked for a password.

By the way, Evernote's free service is limited. I've only put a few things in the notebook (mostly as tests) and have already used nearly 1/2 of the allowed for the month. I hope they aren't counting the silly things that I put on and then delete.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank You, Miss Daisy! I had no idea that setting was even there. I've tinkered with my settings before, but they are always changing stuff, so it's hard to keep straight is going on. That must have been the problem, although I never click the little box Pinterest gives you to say that you want to share it to FB. I had 3 other apps that were posting without my knowledge too. I didn't even know Rafflecopter hooked up to fb. :/ I don't recall them asking me.

"smelling of cats" :lol: I hate the smell of cats. LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Rafflecopter??!"

Sometimes I just feel like an old dog looking out on the yard while sitting on the porch.

Maybe there will be a sloe cat, coming along, directly.

digitS'

Latest posts