Planning an Herbal Tea Garden Any Suggestions?

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am in the beginning stages of planning out a Herbal tea garden It will be in a raised bed or beds. I plan several types of mints, Lemon Balm, Camomile (sp?).. Does anyone have any suggestions? Combinations? Layouts they had tryed? Or recipes for the teapot?

Thanks Gang

:happy_flower Karan :D

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I came to say "don't plant mint" but I guess it's too late...hehehe

I wish I had contained mine, let's just say...

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would include echinacea. Whether or not you actually use it in your tea, it would add some contrast to the mints. :)

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'd add some lavender, Rosemary and maybe some valerian and milk thistle. I'd put some berry plants, raspberries and elderberry especially somewhere around the herbal tea garden because nothing make chamomile more appetizing than some dried raspberries and of course we all know about the immune boosting powers of elderberry.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Yes mints always need contained, I plan dividers between the mints. All my mints are in containers. :tools

Echinacea is a good idea, even to go in the tea, but it is also a very nice flower :love

Thanks gals I am in this planning stage so your input is important :clap

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
I'd add some lavender, Rosemary and maybe some valerian and milk thistle. I'd put some berry plants, raspberries and elderberry especially somewhere around the herbal tea garden because nothing make chamomile more appetizing than some dried raspberries and of course we all know about the immune boosting powers of elderberry.
I had never thought of milk thistle. I have blackberry and I have a friend that is giving me a couple of elderberry starts. :clap I have rosemary, :ya
Lavendar has been a thought. I have never used valerian, what combo would it go with or by it's self? This may open a lot of questions... :gig sorry :gig

I am just soo excited about planning this out and getting it in the dirt sorta speaking :lol: :gig :watering

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I love elderberry too, and I really like the idea of "fencing" in the tea garden with that and raspberry. Cool idea.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Three or 4 years ago, I put tea herb starts into these planters for a few weeks and then put them out into the open garden. Starting at 12 o'clock, they were: Korean mint, lemon balm, catnip, anise hyssop and wild bergamot. The plant in the center is sweet fennel.

I'm not sure why I planted either the catnip or the lemon balm. I have both in the yard and don't really like the lemon balm. I'll be back this afternoon to tell you about my experiences with these and with lemon verbena. Anise hyssop and lemon verbena turned out to be favorites.

Steve

TeaHerbs.jpg

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Digits, The container looks great :clap I too have an herb container did it last year with chocolate mint, spearmint, pepper mint, Lemon Balm, Dusty Miller and Rosemary.

I'll post a photo after I get home.