Planning New Strategy for Eternal War on Slugs (UGH)

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have spent a good deal of time this winter planning a new all out attack on the slugs that are probably wintering over in my garden right now. I hate those ugly slimy varmits. This year, I am going to try more baiting and trapping. I'm going to be especially careful to keep the beds clean of debris and watch the mulch around the plants. I know ducks and geese will eat them, but I'm not ready to take care of a gaggle right now.

I'm an early to bed, early to rise type and here in the Northwest, in the midsummer, it's still light at 9:00 (too late for me) so I can't take advantage of hunting them at night.

Do any of you have problems with slugs? What do you do?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Washington state, huh? Something tells me you got lots bigger slugs than my puny lil' 'ol slugs here is east Texas. Yeah we have the nasty slimy things too, but I bet you got me beat! Ever set out a dish of beer? Slugs love beer, fall in a drown. Nothing like drunk slugs to make a gardener laugh! BWAHAHAHA!!

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm in Eastern Washington, which is much different than Coastal Washington (we're an arid climate with four seasons). I have seen those gigantic 'banana' size slugs on the coast, though. Disgusting!!. I get the smaller grey and black striped varmits. I do use beer, but am always interested in new slug battling tactics!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe try sprinkling sand or crushed egg shells around the plants? I had trouble with slugs last summer, but I know it was my fault for not keeping the tomato plants tied up better. I use egg shells around my hostas, to keep slugs away. Works pretty good! And, yes, the saucer of beer is supposed to work, too.

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe try sprinkling sand or crushed egg shells around the plants? I had trouble with slugs last summer, but I know it was my fault for not keeping the tomato plants tied up better. I use egg shells around my hostas, to keep slugs away. Works pretty good! And, yes, the saucer of beer is supposed to work, too.
I will try some sharp or scratchy things around the pots. Thanks,

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They show up every March in the greenhouse, Kathie. I sprinkle Sluggo in there, enuf so they should have given me a few shares of their stock by now! Stuff is expensive.

It melts if it gets wet. I think it still attracts them but it disappears pretty quickly. Organic and not supposed to be dangerous to pets and wildlife. Seems like there should be a way to protect it from getting wet while still attracting the slugs in to eat it.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kathie, if you're growing them in pots they make copper strips that you can attach to your pots rim. Snails and slugs won't cross copper. Some folks use pennies too, but I don't know if it's as effective. If they were minted after 1983 then they are mostly zinc.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
They show up every March in the greenhouse, Kathie. I sprinkle Sluggo in there, enuf so they should have given me a few shares of their stock by now! Stuff is expensive.

It melts if it gets wet. I think it still attracts them but it disappears pretty quickly. Organic and not supposed to be dangerous to pets and wildlife. Seems like there should be a way to protect it from getting wet while still attracting the slugs in to eat it.

Steve

Steve, one way to keep the bait dry is to put it in a soda bottle that has had the top part cut off at the shoulder, then inverted and stapled around the rim. Put your bait inside and lay the bottle on it's side. The slugs will climb in eat the bait and be unable to get back out. It works, but honestly I expected better results judging by the rate they were eating the hostas.

Latest posts