Plant Food Experiment...Now I Stink!!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Goodness! I got this great idea a few weeks ago. Now I am wondering if it was such a good idea after all.

I trade fresh eggs for raw fish scraps with a friend of ours that is a Sushi Chef, he and his wife have a small restaurant here and serve the best sushi in town. Anyhow, I normally "plant" a few pieces of fish at the base of my shrubs, citrus, fruit trees, etc.

Well, I got this idea of making a fish emulsion to put on all the plants in the garden.

so... I put the fish in my Vitamix, made a slurry of sorts out of the fish. Then, I added the fish slurry to my Manure Tea bag. I have a big Igloo drink dispenser that I use to make Manure tea. I hang an old pillowcase half filled with steer manure in the container. It works great.

This morning, I decided the fish and steer manure had "steeped" long enough. I took a bit and diluted it, put in on the garden. Bucket by bucket full. It was quite a bit of work to do the entire front and back yards!!

Now all I can smell is "fish" it is mostly on my hands, even after taking a shower. And the entire yard is very fishy smelling.

I know my husband will have something to say when he comes home tonight. He just called to inform me we are having guests for dinner!

Why oh why did I pick today to do this experiment!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are brave! I remember I used the "seeweed" fertilizer on my office plants- I hate to tell you how long I could smell that!! Also thought it would be a great idea to water my indoor plants with the dirty water from my fish tank- you get the idea. At least you did outside plants!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:sick

Hope your plants will reward you for your sacrifice!

I freeze fish remains and plant them with my trees. My FIL got me started doing that and he always swore by it. Good stuff!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
You are brave! I remember I used the "seeweed" fertilizer on my office plants- I hate to tell you how long I could smell that!! Also thought it would be a great idea to water my indoor plants with the dirty water from my fish tank- you get the idea. At least you did outside plants!
A few years ago we had some friends that bought a house with extensive Koi ponds and streams in the yard. When he would clean the ponds, I would get some of the "stuff" from the bottom of the ponds. My plants liked that stuff and it didn't really have much of an odor at all. Unlike my recent concoction! It smells like like a cross between a fishery, and a stable with a dead body in it!!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You may want to steer away from serving fish for dinner ... :lol:

Some say that lemon rubbed on your hands takes the fish smell away... sometimes it just makes them smell like lemony fish tho :D

Ahhh .. the sweet smell of organic ... :bouquet

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every darn thing that does something on the farm smells bad, including the farmer.

Those things that smell nice can afford to just sit there and be attractive . . . :watering

Steve

Latest posts