Plant identification: Boise, Idaho

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
As it happens I have several more photos, they're in my phone. Let me figure out how to wrestle them off. I took a close up of leaves and of the root system I believe.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
:(Haven't lucked out as of yet, I posted this in a couple of different forums. The forum I usually get a quick response, nothing yet. The other forum I got a rather rude response, which really surprised me. Not being one to rise to the bait, my response I believe was quite civilized being Canadian ;) that's how we are, but only until you push THAT button:). Although I have to admit my tongue is still smarting from having it between clenched teeth.
Won't repeat what this person said, obviously this person thinks Canadians are ignorant, uniformed and unlawful. I think I made my point (in a nice way of course) and ended my response with have a nice day.

I was just asked by someone else there if there's any way you could get a better picture, like a closeup of a single plant, it would really help. I'll pass on the additional information and see if we get any bites.

Annette
Oh Annette, I would love to hear what that rude person said and your response. You can clean his/her remarks if you need to. This little tiny o me just wants to go over there and punch him in the nose for being rude to you! :smack

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had two responses so far, both seem to think it may be in the thistle family, they need a better picture.

Annette

That brings up something I was wondering about. Do those points have spines or thorns?

With that taproot is sure looks like it was made for dry weather. I've had no luck. I thought searching for plants that propagate by runners would narrow it down but it did not help.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Annette, I would love to hear what that rude person said and your response. You can clean his/her remarks if you need to. This little tiny o me just wants to go over there and punch him in the nose for being rude to you! :smack

Mary

On forums or just social media you can run into people that are autistic, bipolar, or just have other problems. Occasionally you get someone that has had a really rotten day and irrationally takes it out on you. I generally ignore them, don't feed the trolls. Sometimes that takes some self-discipline on my part. I'm thinking of someone specific over on the chicken forum. I'll often open his posts just to see if he is off his meds again.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
On forums or just social media you can run into people that are autistic, bipolar, or just have other problems. Occasionally you get someone that has had a really rotten day and irrationally takes it out on you. I generally ignore them, don't feed the trolls. Sometimes that takes some self-discipline on my part. I'm thinking of someone specific over on the chicken forum. I'll often open his posts just to see if he is off his meds again.

I so agree, don't feed the fire, but sometimes I admit between clenching my teeth I also have to sit on my hands. This person, (don't know if it was a guy or a gal), whatever the point he/she were trying to make was made in an extremely rude way. Not going to repeat what he/she said. Since then I've had two responses from people trying to help.
One started out by saying I might have been chased away but this person's response, saying as a rule this forum is not like that.

My response to this.
"Ha, I've heard worse, runs off me like water off a duck's back, One shouldn't assume what a person knows or doesn't know. I was just surprised to run into that kind of response here."

Not going to say what my original response was to this rude person but I think I may or may not have taken a little wind out of his'/her sails and yes I was polite. A @Nyboy phrase, comes to mind:). Forgive your enemies -- it messes with their heads. The next response was short but toned down, not responding to his posts anymore but others on this forum are trying to help so will keep checking back.

I try to be polite regardless how I feel but, I do have one of those buttons you don't want to push. Yep, all h*ll breaks out and everyone steps back till I cool off ;). My motto, treat EVERYBODY the way I would like to be treated. IMO people who make these kind of responses only make themselves look bad. Nuff said on this...

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Three more responses from I know to be very knowledgeable people. ( a little copy and Paste :))

"Given the foliage appearance and long tap root, some sort of thistle seems a very likely candidate. And many species, like Canada thistle, do develop a rhizomatous root system."

"Yes: it would be Cirsium arvense then - a widespread nuisance plant. The silvery appearance of the one nearest the camera and your comparison to aloes made me think the specimens looked different."

"The leaf margins don’t look quite right to me for C arvense."

The saga continues....

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The debate goes on....Asking for more information...
Aftermidnight, can you tell us the texture of these leaves? Are they rubbery or slightly felted? Are they stiff or soft? Did they hurt her hands when your friend pulled them up?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
they are succulent like, and do seem to have leaves like an aloe. Here are two more photos. I do appreciate the help on this! I knew it would be a bit tricky. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 453

Latest posts