Plant identification: Boise, Idaho

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MIL was vacationing in Idaho and found this plant by the side of the road in a desertish area. Any idea what it might be?

Attachments

• IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 433

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like some kind of aloe plant. Southern Idaho is a semi arid climate I would say. So succulents probably can be found there. Just a guess of course.

aloe, agava, yucca family, i'm not an expert either. :)

at first glance from a distance i was thinking marijuana/hemp, but once i got a closer look at it, don't think it is that.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did she say anything about how big they got? Height, spread, or length of leaves. Are those babies or fairly well grown? My first thought was some type of cactus but
It could be other things. I really have no idea.

I have no idea how invasive that might be. You might try potting some up to keep it alive. You can always send a photo to your county extension office and get them to ID it if we are unsuccessful. Your cover story is that a friend in Boise offered to send you one but you don't want to take it until you know it is not invasive or protected.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eh, it probably wouldn't be invasive in growing conditions different from where it is grown. You might have better luck finding it in a book of succulent house plants. Or at least its cousin.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pic but does seem to resemble an Aloe I once had, name escapes me :barnie. I posted the pic on another forum, these guys are good. Will come back if I get an answer.

Annette

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It will be in a potted garden inside of a house, no chance of it spreading. :) No she did not give me any other useful information, but I can text her and ask these questions. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
She says that is the biggest they got. She said the plants she got seem to procreate by runners, "like strawberries do" if that helps with the ID.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:(Haven't lucked out as of yet, I posted this in a couple of different forums. The forum I usually get a quick response, nothing yet. The other forum I got a rather rude response, which really surprised me. Not being one to rise to the bait, my response I believe was quite civilized being Canadian ;) that's how we are, but only until you push THAT button:). Although I have to admit my tongue is still smarting from having it between clenched teeth.
Won't repeat what this person said, obviously this person thinks Canadians are ignorant, uniformed and unlawful. I think I made my point (in a nice way of course) and ended my response with have a nice day.

I was just asked by someone else there if there's any way you could get a better picture, like a closeup of a single plant, it would really help. I'll pass on the additional information and see if we get any bites.

Annette

Latest posts