Planted a new tree to replace the one the Derecho took

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We planted a tree to replace what came down in the Derecho. It is about 15 foot tall Catalpa. (On sale 1/2 off)
100_5226.JPG
100_5228.JPG
100_5233.JPG
100_5235.JPG

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lot of ppl hate Catalpa's but I like them!! I planted two at the last place. I'll have to drive by in a couple of years to see how their are faring.
We had a Catalpa here when we moved into t he house 40 years ago. It should grow fast enough to give some shade before we have to move to an old age home!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like Catalpa trees. Their blooms look like tiny orchids. My Daddy always planted a Catalpa tree for the catapillars that showed up to eat the leaves, great for fishing! Old style, a cane pole, hook, line, bobber with a fat Catalpa catapillar on the hook! He plucked them off the tree, packed in cornmeal so they didn’t stick together in a clump, and froze them.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the home where I grew up, there was a catalpa in the back yard. I was always fascinated by it (and by the buckeye that was there too). When the flowers began to fall, I liked to suck the sweet nectar from the stem end... which must be OK, since I'm still here. :hide The long beans were interesting as well. That tree went down in a tornado shortly after I left home, and apparently catalpas won't resprout from the stump. Now DD#1 has one in her yard, and she asked me to take down a couple seedlings which came up elsewhere... I've never seen catalpas sprout from seed in our climate.

We had a Catalpa here when we moved into t he house 40 years ago. It should grow fast enough to give some shade before we have to move to an old age home!
Funny you should mention that. DW & I have been putting in some fruit trees, and it occurred to me that we're probably just putting them in for posterity. Hopefully we'll get more than a few good years out of them ourselves.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried to sprout some Calif Buckeyes down there in Calif. Never took. But they are the very first to come out of dormancy in Feb and the first to go brown and shrivel, in August. I thought they were pretty.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Off-topic again 🙄

Can someone tell me about about chestnut trees? The real ones, not horse chestnuts ... Why do you suppose that I don't think that I have ever seen one here abouts? Are they an uncommon choice for homeowners, elsewhere?

There are range limits to trees, of course. A neighbor has 2 English walnuts in his front yard. What a waste ... and, they have lived out their existence and now those big trees are dying. There will be some neighborhood drama when he has those taken out. I hope that he can make use of the wood. He is unlikely to have used the nuts. The neighborhood squirrels bring the nuts to my yard and they are puniest things that could still be imagined as "nuts."

I'm familiar with English walnuts and we had several very productive trees in southern Oregon when I was a kid.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can someone tell me about about chestnut trees? The real ones, not horse chestnuts ... Why do you suppose that I don't think that I have ever seen one here abouts? Are they an uncommon choice for homeowners, elsewhere?
Most of the American Chestnut trees - the real "chestnuts", Castanea dentata - were wiped out by chestnut blight many years ago. I don't think they are native to your range, @digitS' . You can still find stock, if you wanted to try them.

Latest posts