Planted a new tree to replace the one the Derecho took

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think some neighborhoods may also discourage real chestnuts (of the European or Asian extraction) Chestnut burrs are SPINY, like hedgehogs, and can be a danger to pets or children (if they are in the habit of playing outside barefoot). There's someone in my neighborhood who has one, but I think the squirrels and chipmunks get all the nuts before they do.

If you are wiling to take a somewhat smaller tree (on the lines of a small bush) there is always Castanea pumila , the Chinquapin. I think that is immune to the blight, and it's range covers most of the US .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Castanea dentata - were wiped out by chestnut blight many years ago.

Well, that's too bad ... not many "🎶 chestnuts roasting on an open fire 🎶" ... then? Unless they are @Pulsegleaner 's Castanea pumila -- are those just as tasty and with the same uses?

I think that it is too bad that some people here have planted the English Walnut. I never see that it has done well. And meanwhile, there are some very nice hazelnuts. Perhaps those are generally ignored because they don't make for much of a shade tree. The walnut is messy. I'd never want one in the yard but that wasn't where they were on the farm.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As far as I know they are though chinquapins are quite a bit smaller (even if you get the big nutted subspecies)

There are two Hazels that are native to the US, American (Corylus americana) and beaked (C. cornuta) Though again, smaller nutted than the European hazel (C. avellana) or Turkish (C. colurna) or red (C. maxima).

And if you are worried about cold there is the Asian/Siberian Hazel (C. hereophlylla) (there IS someone from Russia on Ebay who has that)
https://landscapeplants.oregonstate.edu/node/2113

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whew. It was late to leaf out! We where worried it did not survive it's1st winter.
And it is BLOOMING.
DSC06901.JPG
DSC06902.JPG
DSC06903.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts