Planted Grass At Work

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never been a lawn person. My lawns are probable 50% or less of grass. Weeds cut short is what my lawns are mostly made of. One of the guys at work turned over a large part of the lawn and asked me to buy grass seed. I had never purchase grass seed before and was a little shocked at the price. I remember as a kid my father spending a dollar or 2 for seed for bare patches. Some bags of seed where as much as $90 and I had no clue as to type of grass to get. I end up buying the cheapest labeled contractors. We have had a very wet spring rain almost every day. I just notice the seed as sprouted. Now I am a little excited to see how lawn will turn out. What is your lawn like a golf course or weed patch ?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The one time I planted a complete lawn, I was happy with it! It was a pasture grass mix and there was lots of white clover in the mix :).

A few years ago, I bought a little "shade mix" to try to repair an area that was not only in shade but gets heavy traffic. It's okay but came in a different color than other places in the lawn.

The existing lawn is mostly grass in the sunny areas. Right now, it looks like 50% lawn violets in the shady spots. That's okay. Two weeks ago, the lawn grass was yellow and dead looking in those locations and yet, the ground was covered with purple violet flowers. Soon, green grass will be taller and the violets will be hidden.

Oh, and I seem to have more alpine strawberries invading one area year after year. I'm not sure if I should do anything about that.

After pruning DD's tree, I sprayed her front "lawn" with weedkiller. There was very little growing out there. DSIL rototilled and the larger clumps of dead vegetation was raked off. DD is now wondering how long before the grass seed she put down will sprout. It's been only about 5 days, is she just being impatient?

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
WEED.
But DH just sprayed the entire yard with grass and weed killer. He plans to rototill it and add some compost then reseed. We will see!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like mine to look like lawn. But then, I'm in the city and it's tiny. We will be resodding it in a couple months. Instant gratification.:p

Mary