Planted WAY too much in 32 sq. ft. space

1WildHairL8r

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Interesting.
I moved the vines out of the box and now there's more space for the other plants. It's too late for my pole beans, but I think I may get a few very small peppers after all.
Should I prep the ground outside of the box in any way? It's just our sandy loam loaded with weeds. I guess it's really just the roots that matter, huh? As long as there aren't any pest problems?
Thanks!!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
1WildHairL8r said:
Interesting.
I moved the vines out of the box and now there's more space for the other plants. It's too late for my pole beans, but I think I may get a few very small peppers after all.
Should I prep the ground outside of the box in any way? It's just our sandy loam loaded with weeds. I guess it's really just the roots that matter, huh? As long as there aren't any pest problems?
Thanks!!
You might want to just keep the weeds down to try to avoid pests and diseases. No prep is needed other than that. You could even lay down some cardboard to help keep the weeds down.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the other reason to control weeds is so you dont step on the fruit :mow

1WildHairL8r

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My husband and I laid down some weed guard and then laid the vines on top of that. Seems to be doing well so far. In fact I noticed the plants in the back were a lot perkier today with the vines all moved out of the way -- they finally get full sun!
We started so late this year that I'm worried about how/when I"ll get to transition to a fall crop.
I think we'll start a new box and get the soil ready and have a completely seperate garden.
Of course I planned it this way!!!
This has definitely been a learning experience!!
Thanks Tutter and Oakland!
Cathi

rebeccakee

Sprout
Reaction score
I grew tomato plants 3 years in containers before i could get one to grow a tomato. Somethimg always happened.

You learn- Good Luck.:)

Latest posts