Planting cantaloupe & watermelon

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I had ONE GOOD YEAR with squash and everything I planted produced, including canteloupe. THEN, I got an infestation of squash bugs and vine borers. The ONLY way I can grow them now is to start them in June INSIDE, KEEP them inside and wait until August to put them into the ground. I still get a crop, but it would be nice to have a longer growing season for them. You only need 2-3 zucchini plants for all of your needs, btw.
I hope that you have better success. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am confused by melons but that is different than likes and dislikes. There, it's only a preference of one flavor over another.

The simplest confusion is with the terms cantaloupe and muskmelon. If I've got it right, cantaloupe and muskmelons are the same species; cantaloupe are just one type of muskmelon. If I'm wrong, someone should correct me!

Galia melons are something I've discovered about 12 years ago. Maybe there are some other particularly cold hardy melons but Passport and Diplomat have sure come through for me. And, that is saying something considering how our cool June weather has killed melon plants! Not just frost, either.

Galias all seem to be hybrids. And, that makes sense because they look like hybrids! Crosses between cantaloupe and honeydew ..! I wonder if that is their story and f1 generations, each season.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I LOVE cantelope and I HATE watermelon ... as for the cucumbers,not so much but I like sweet pickles and pickle relish.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
all at my house Love watermelon
DSCF0671.JPG