Planting cantaloupe & watermelon

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am replanting my watermelon & cantaloupe and I thought I would ask everyone how do you plant yours? Hills, rows etc. I am always looking to improve my gardening techniques and love to hear from you all. I might learn something new.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I build up a hill maybe 4" to 5" high, plant maybe three seeds, then move on to another hill a few feet away. We discussed this a few years back, someone gave a reason that planting on hills was better, but I can't remember that reason.

I went to look it up. Hills heat up faster so you should get better germination plus they drain better. Melons do better with good drainage.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I build up a hill maybe 4" to 5" high, plant maybe three seeds, then move on to another hill a few feet away. We discussed this a few years back, someone gave a reason that planting on hills was better, but I can't remember that reason.

I went to look it up. Hills heat up faster so you should get better germination plus they drain better. Melons do better with good drainage.
I like that idea. What I have been doing is planting 4 or 5 seeds in a circle and then move a few feet over. I never made the hill. Do you water your seeds in or just wait for nature to do it.

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm 66 and always hilled until this year. Very spotty germination, @Ridgerunner nailed it, warmer and better drainage with hills. I think a raised row would be OK for the same reason.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm 66 and always hilled until this year. Very spotty germination, @Ridgerunner nailed it, warmer and better drainage with hills. I think a raised row would be OK for the same reason.

all joking a side started my melon seeds inside then tempered them then transplanted them....<so far 100% rate>..
will find out if that holds with the orange seedless watermelon...<of course this is one of my experiments this year

Latest posts