Planting carrots

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I read in an Backwood Magizine article where you can plant potatoes in a tire by placing dirt on the bottom of one tire and plant your potatoes and when you see a couple inches of green you can put more dirt to almost cover the greenery and add another tire and so on.

Ok my question I have a very deep planter, can I put some rich dirt into bottom and plant my carrot seeds and do the same as the potatoes since they are both root veggie. I'm trying it do you think it will work. Oh BTW I have the large planter sitting in the window that gets lots of sun.

jackie

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Potatoes grow up.

Carrots grow down.

Thus you need to plant the seed *on top of* whatever depth of soil you want to be available. Hilling soil up around the seedling once it's up may kill it but will certainly not produce a longer carrot.

Have fun,

Pat

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So, yes, you probably can. Just fill the tire with dirt first, sprinkle the carrot seeds on top, sprinkle with a bit more dirt to cover or gently rake in and then keep thoroughly watered until sprouted.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
So, yes, you probably can. Just fill the tire with dirt first, sprinkle the carrot seeds on top, sprinkle with a bit more dirt to cover or gently rake in and then keep thoroughly watered until sprouted.
Er, no... you CAN grow carrots in tires of course.

But you CAN'T increase the soil depth over them as they grow, the way you can with potatoes.

Just clarifying,

Pat

jackiedon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I went and filled the planter full of dirt and planted more carrots.

Thanks for the information. You guys are great!!

jackie

Latest posts