Planting fresh corn kernels

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I recently purchased some of the Glass Gem Corn seeds, to plant this coming Spring. :weee

Since it is so expensive, my plan is to grow this for seed corn only the first year. Well, we might save our a few dried ears for popcorn. :celebrate

I know saving corn for next year is as easy as drying the ears thoroughly & storing away from humidity.

Since I only have 160 seeds & some won't germinate, I want to maximize my crop, with multiple plantings. Since we live in East Texas (Zone 8) our last frost to first frost range is ideally 244 days. With a growing period of 60-100 days I should be able to get 2 crops of corn, even waiting, to plant, a couple weeks past last frost (March 18th) to make sure it is warm enough for optimal growth.

I was thinking if I could plant seeds from the first crop (planted the first of April), around the first or second week of June. That would allow me to double my seed production this year. However, I have never done that and am not sure if it would work.

I have a nice dehydrator. So I could low temp dry the kernels, from early ripened cobs, before planting. But, I'm wondering if I could just cut the kernels off the cob (below the germ) and plant the kernels fresh?

Has anyone ever planted the current year's 1st crop seeds, to double production? Is it even possible? Btw, I have successfully grown corn before. However, that was in PA - I have never grown corn in East Texas.

Thanks for any help you might give. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think they'd germinate fresh. They'd probably rot or get eaten by something. But if your growing season is that long, I think you'd have no trouble getting your first planting to dry on the stalk and then you could plant those. Only thing that might prevent that is if the first planting won't germinate at low temperatures. Some corn are better at that than others. Most need a soil temp of at least 50 degrees, with faster and improved germination at higher temps.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, @journey11. I was wondering if that might happen with fresh corn kernels. I will just make sure the kernels are dry before I plant.

As far as the soil not being 50° or above, I could put black plastic on the dirt before & after planting, to keep it warm. We are home all day so I could check, to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They need to black layer first. Then they will sprout. No problem.

Seed companies get 2-3 generations per year with no problem.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should be able to get 2 crops. The 2nd crop main problem would be it not burning up in the heat. But you better let the corn dry good first before planting it. On the plus side, hang some ears on your porch where it is out of direct light. The scalding Texas heat should dry your corn nicely.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They need to black layer first. Then they will sprout. No problem.

Seed companies get 2-3 generations per year with no problem
Thanks @seedcorn,

I had never heard of the black layer before. I tried to login, to ask what it was, but all day got an error message. :barnie

So, I went online and found the following website that explains it.

http://msucares.com/crops/corn/corn7.html

After reading that, it makes sense that the corn needs to dry on the cob before planting the next generation.

Fortunately, there are no farmer's growing corn near us. So we don't have to worry about cross pollination. :D

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I deleted my pix. Sorry.

If you scrape off the tip of the kernel, you will see a "black layer" at bottom of kernel. This black layer is a seal that stops all transfer of nutrients to or from the kernel. At that point, kernel is officially done and will only dry down as moisture is lost to the atmosphere.

Latest posts