Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A neighbor gave me some packets of seed:

Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Squash
Eggplant
Cucumber

All of the directions on the packets say that they should be planted in hills a foot high and two feet across. Does what's under the hill make any difference? I was thinking of putting them on the deteriorated, weedy blacktop tennis court left by a previous resident.

Any other hints on growing these crops would, as always be appreciated. :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well.... that would certainly help to keep the soil warm...... And I guess that it might help deter some of the bugs... ;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eggplant in hills? I never heard of that one. I see absolutely no benefit to that one. I treat eggplant the same as most other plants I transplant. Just space them out in a row.

Dad often planted those others in a hill. Im not sure why. Often hed dig a hole several inches deep, put in some old chicken manure, then build a mound or hill on top of that. These things are all vining (except eggplant) and will cover a lot of ground. Maybe planting in hills was a good way to centralize and spread out the plants so they spread from a common point? Maybe a way to make it easier to weed until they spread? If they are sprouting on mounds spread out pretty well, its pretty easy to plow in between those mounds and use a hoe. I find those plants to be fairly delicate when young. I really dont know, just guessing.

I dont know how deep those roots go or how much they spread out. Id think theyd spread a lot further than the hill and probably deeper than that 1 foot. They tend to wilt when it gets really dry so maybe their roots dont go all that deep? I havent planted things on top of blacktop so no real experience with that. One huge concern, even if you have enough room for the roots is that it may be real hard to keep watered correctly. Drainage is probably going to be awful. You could easily overwater and drown the roots, but it would also have a tendency to dry out pretty fast too.

No real experience doing that but my concerns would be room for the roots and watering.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've always read that also. I don't bother. I just plant 2 in the ground and they seem to do well. Could be that I plant so few since that's all the room I have.

Mary

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
Eggplant in hills? I never heard of that one. I see absolutely no benefit to that one. I treat eggplant the same as most other plants I transplant. Just space them out in a row.
Your right. My mistake. I shouldn't have included Eggplant in the list. :hide

Latest posts