Planting late in the year...

ThePigeonKid

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello, I am interested in getting into gardening, so I was wondering if there are any vegetables that can be planted this late in the year? (I am completely ignorant of this subject :) )

By the way, I'm in Ohio and the weather can get pretty extreme... :p

Thanks in advance! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once took over a little piece of ground on the 7th of July. I planted green beans. It wasn't really a small garden . . . one day, I picked green beans for 10 hours!

:th

The next year, I could start there early. There was a variety of things that went into that garden. A half dozen years later, I'm still there.

Green beans are a fairly good guarantee here until the middle of July (about now). They come up and grow well in the heat. It takes them about 2 months before there is something to pick.

If you can find started plants, cucumbers may also have time to produce.

You can also save a little bit of ground for Asian greens like bok choy and sow that seed beginning in a couple of weeks for fall greens.

When are you expecting your first frost?

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to the forum! :frow :frow Glad you are here! :frow

You might check this link. Somebody on this forum posted it recently so naturally I saved it but don't remember who to give credit to for finding it. We do that all the time on here. It shows the latest you can plant several different crops depending on your first frost date.

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/schedule-2.htm

I'd also suggest calling your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government. They can tell you your first frost date and probably have a brochure for Ohio specifically that tells you in even better detail when to plant what.

Good luck!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, Welcome!

I just thought of something else. An experience gardener I know sows basil seed directly into his garden at this time of year.

I bet that works! It likes the heat and grows quickly. If'n you like pesto, that may be something special for you to have.

Steve :frow

ahbee01

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Leaf lettuce will grow plant some now, wait a week and plant some more, it will grow till the frost kills it. You can cover it lightly with straw when the temps get cold! I've picked it till late oct.! I'm in ohio too! You might find plants already with veggies already growing, you can plant them and they would grow just fine! I've seen plants with tomatoes growing on them at a few plant stores!

We are just starting our late broccoli, we did it last year, but couldn't remember when we planted it, so I will see how it does!

ThePigeonKid

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everybody! :D

I'll have to get started! :cool:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The days remaining to the growing season are just part of the story.

Right now, the temperatures are likely to be high and the soil surface dries out quickly under the hot sun. Many seeds just can't make a good start.

As we move into the next few months and in contrast to spring, the temperatures are cooling instead of warming and the daylight hours are fewer.

I think that some plants are able to do better in the cooler temperatures but increasing hours of darkness doesn't encourage growth. The growing season is beginning its cartwheel into winter.

But yes, PigeonKid, time to get started!

Steve

Latest posts