planting mint

SJ1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I grow mine in containers. My neighbor has those curved, concrete edgings and the mint grows in the circle. He has grass outside the circle and mows it. So, I don't know definitely how well the concrete edging contains the mint, but it seems to. Others use bricks, stones, etc.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Speaking of mint, I've got a pot of peppermint growing in my garden. Can someone tell me a few things to do with fresh peppermint other than just adding it to my iced tea?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fresh peppermint, other than adding to iced tea:

Mojito: Smash up several mint leaves with sugar in a sturdy glass with a spoon until well-bruised but not completely torn up. Add high-quality light rum, um, to taste, squeeze half a lime in, and top up with club soda.

Use to scent homemade soap: either grind the dry leaves up and add to liquid soap, or set whole pressed-flat leaves in the soap molds.

Make extract for cakes, brownies, scenting soaps/bath salts, etc.: Pack mint into glass bottles and fill to the top with plain vodka or white lightning. Let soak several days. Strain out vodka, sniff/taste--if it doesn't taste very strong, mix fresh leaves into the vodka and let soak another week or two. Also makes a nice additive to Tiger Balm-type ointments.

Cucumber raita: Chop up peeled cukes and mint and a couple of scallions. Mix in yogurt, a teaspoon of cider vinegar, a pinch of salt, and fresh black pepper to taste. Yummy on lamb, or with veggie curry.

Tabbouleh: Cook cracked wheat or soak in lots of water overnight and drain. Chop a whole bunch of fresh mint and another bunch of fresh parsley, fresh tomato, fresh cuke, garlic to taste, and mix it up. Pour over top a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, a bit of salt and pepper.

I'm sure there's a mint jelly recipe somewhere on the interwebs, I've never made it myself but it's lovely on scones.

Ummm....Fresh mint chopped up in a fruit vinaigrette salad dressing (e.g. orange juice, some kind of oil, orange zest, a teaspoon or two of honey, poppyseeds, mint, whizzed in a blender and thickened with a tiny smidgen of cornstarch) poured over melon balls or fruit salad.

I usually make myself a water bottle for my lunch bag that has mint in it during the summer. I am fond of garlicky lunches, so I'm sure my co-workers thank me.

Latest posts