planting mint

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My neighbor did that and the bottom of the pot eventually broke in the ground and she didn't know until it started taking over the whole side yard one spring.
I live next door and it spread into my yard as well and I am trying to rip it up and keep it contained as well.

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Our mint grows along our creek and it has spread, probally because we let it go to seed, I will weed eat it and it bounces right back.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I cut the bottoms out of 5 gallon joint compound cans, sink 'em in the ground with about 2 or 3 inches sticking up, and plant my mints in those. I have had one for six years with no problems. Every few years you have to refresh the soil and I pull up all the mint, throw away the dead stuff, trim all viable parts and replant. BYW, my lemon balm is not contained (didn't realize at first it was a mint) and I am keeping a close watch on it. I cut it back and cut away at the base of the plant regularly.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I JUST GOT MY MINT!!!

I have a friend that just brought me the mint that she promised me.. I am going to put it in a plactic pot and sink it into the ground...
:rose :dance :ya :tools :weight

oh it smells sooo good!

pjkobulnicky

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just as an aside, the biggest flora-pest we have in our yard is the bronze fennel my wife has in her herb garden ... self sows like crazy. Or just maybe it is the silver maple trees in my neighbors yard that now have saplings growing out of every orifice in our house and yard. Talk about real pests.

Our apple mint is planted near some of my wife's invasive prennial flowers and it is interesting to watch them all fight it out. I keep thinking I should plant some Japanese knotweed there to add to the fray to see who wins.

Best applemint I ever had used to grow in my septic leach field ... and we ate it for years with no harm to us (and that was years ago). Just luck I guess.

Paul

Latest posts