Planting Nootka Roses

ZinHead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm thinking of growing some wild Nootka roses in a pot using clippings. Anyone have any tips!?
Rosa nutkana evolved on the east side of Vancouver Island at the edges of woodlands where it would have got morning sun & afternoon to evening shade.
(92.6)" of rain per year, plus occasion ocean storm surge.
The ocean, including the sound is high in Sodium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride & Boron.
Ocean water is approximately 60 times as rich in Boron as typical soils.
I don't know enough about the species to make recommendations.
These are just observations.
It evolved in a very cool humid location with lots of Magnesium, Chloride & Boron.
I would deduce that:
1) Kelp would be your best option as a nutrient supplement.
2) An east facing porch with full morning sun & full noon shade is best.
3) Misters during the summer.
4) Wind breaks
5) Well drained, well aerated soil.
6) Water from the bottom in a 2" deep tray under the pot.
Good luck!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking of growing some wild Nootka roses in a pot using clippings. Anyone have any tips!?

cuttings will usually root out ok from most plants that have nodes for the leaves along the stems. a stem of 6 to 8 inches will probably work ok. from your clippings remove almost all of the leaves and make a clean 2nd cut (right before planting) at a slight angle and dip the cut end in rooting hormone, then poke it in a pot of damp potting soil. firm the soil and water it a little. put this in a dappled mostly shady spot under another plant and make sure it is kept moist. a clear wrap or plastic covering helps if it is very dry in your location. once you see new growth you likely have it rooted.

some species root so easily you don't even need the rooting hormone (mums being one that i know for sure is easy because i did it one season and every single cutting i did rooted).

good luck! :)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the tips!😊 I'm excited to go get the clippings! I'm out cruising in BFE so I won't be able to get the root hormone, but I will follow your other tips! Fingers crossed! Next time I go out hiking I'll get some!
cuttings will usually root out ok from most plants that have nodes for the leaves along the stems. a stem of 6 to 8 inches will probably work ok. from your clippings remove almost all of the leaves and make a clean 2nd cut (right before planting) at a slight angle and dip the cut end in rooting hormone, then poke it in a pot of damp potting soil. firm the soil and water it a little. put this in a dappled mostly shady spot under another plant and make sure it is kept moist. a clear wrap or plastic covering helps if it is very dry in your location. once you see new growth you likely have it rooted.

some species root so easily you don't even need the rooting hormone (mums being one that i know for sure is easy because i did it one season and every single cutting i did rooted).

good luck! :)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the tips!😊 I'm excited to go get the clippings! I'm out cruising in BFE so I won't be able to get the root hormone, but I will follow your other tips! Fingers crossed! Next time I go out hiking I'll get some!
Oh guess what? I planted clippings of Christmas cactus once and it was amazing! I just pushed the clippings in the soil and they took off with no other help! I was amazed!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rosa nutkana evolved on the east side of Vancouver Island at the edges of woodlands where it would have got morning sun & afternoon to evening shade.
(92.6)" of rain per year, plus occasion ocean storm surge.
The ocean, including the sound is high in Sodium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride & Boron.
Ocean water is approximately 60 times as rich in Boron as typical soils.
I don't know enough about the species to make recommendations.
These are just observations.
It evolved in a very cool humid location with lots of Magnesium, Chloride & Boron.
I would deduce that:
1) Kelp would be your best option as a nutrient supplement.
2) An east facing porch with full morning sun & full noon shade is best.
3) Misters during the summer.
4) Wind breaks
5) Well drained, well aerated soil.
6) Water from the bottom in a 2" deep tray under the pot.
Good luck!!!
I am loving your information @ZinHead ! Your knowledge in horticultural chemistry is remarkable. I will definitely be making notes of your posts! This is the kind of knowledge I aspire to learn. Thank you for sharing it!

ZinHead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh guess what? I planted clippings of Christmas cactus once and it was amazing! I just pushed the clippings in the soil and they took off with no other help! I was amazed!
Very difficult to get rid of even in a drought in the Sonoran Desert.
My be pretty in a pot, but not all over the yard.
Almost as difficult as Cholla to eliminate.

Latest posts