Planting onion seeds in the fall or late winter...

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm a sit in the path on a stool and pluck the weeds out with the digitS', kinda weeder.

Maybe I should say "with Mrs. digitS'." ;)

I might use a 3-prong cultivator but not with the onions. And, they are such wimps with any kind of weed competition.

Steve
Steve, you need one of these:
image.jpeg

My John Deere!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had one of those carts for several years. On the advice of my chiropractor I no longer use it. The bending and stretching to weed were too hard on my back. I keep changing positions as I weed and plant which seems to be better for my back.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have one -- or rather had a working one until the tractor crushed it -- but they now make ones with swivel wheels in front. The static-line wheels are fine for straight rows, but only the beds made by spouse are anything near straight. If I ever got a new one, I'd go with turn-able wheels in front.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have had one of those carts for several years. On the advice of my chiropractor I no longer use it. The bending and stretching to weed were too hard on my back. I keep changing positions as I weed and plant which seems to be better for my back.
Well, mine has plastic wheels, not as nice as the one pictured above, BUT, I do use it. Fortunately, I don't have a bad back. I wouldn't be able to care for my horses or chickens, if I did. I can still lift up to 75 pounds, but I have to do the clean and snatch. My office cleaner, my age, can barely lift 20 pounds anymore. She was helping me move files, and was amazed that I had no trouble with 4x the weight.

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
image.jpeg
'Tiger, potato onions are supposed to be very much the same as shallots. I have never grown them ... but, having shallots make me feel kinda special ;).

They are awfully good.

It maybe true that you will have problems with some varieties of shallots because of daylength/latitude. They are grown in Thailand, however. Obviously, there are some for southern latitudes. You may need to do just a little research. Southern Exposure Seed sells shallots so that must mean something :).

Steve

I have some bulbs from SESE, planted on Halloween without any sprouting, but spring blasted bulbs that I held back was 100%! Not sure if they rotted, eaten by critters or what, but they never sprouted. Fortunately, I have plenty of the Green Mountain potato onions from Kelly Winterton that are doing well.
I also have the seedlings that I am transplanting now, they will produce one bulb. The bulbs pictured will produce up to 6 bulbs from 2-4" Amazing plants!

Last edited:

Latest posts