Planting potted lilies

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, my husband wants to take my potted Asiatic lily and plant it in the ground. Normally I would be all for that!! This time.... not so much!

I can SEE the bloom buds forming, and we're probably.... 2-3 weeks (?) before blooming. I told him that it would be a bad idea to transplant them right now because it would cause shock and it probably wouldn't bloom. HE says that is an old wives tale and that if we planted it in good compost and good soil that it would be just fine, especially since it's being moved from a pot to the ground. I keep telling him that I want to wait until it's done blooming and then we can transplant it.

In y'alls expert opinions, which do you think would be best to still get blooms from the plant this year? Leave it in the pot until after bloom, or take it from the pot to the ground with well composted soil?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have purchased lilies in 4 to 6 inch pots with buds and blooms. Brought them home and put them right into flower bed with the other lilies. They seemed o.k. and bloomed fine. Maybe someone else has a different opinion or experience. :hu

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Because he wants to put them in the ground NOW! LOL He doesn't have patients at ALL.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think there will be a problem, either. Especially if you can see the bloom buds forming.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had tulips with buds in the ground that I decided to move since they were in the way of a path I was creating. They did just fine.

Mary

Latest posts