Plants for aquariums -

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i see different growth on some plants depending on if they are close to surface of water & those completely submerged in pond or tank. an interesting one i would not have thought be able to grow completely under water is elephant ear/taro. i brought the 2 plants in for winter & have it in the 55 gallon tank. 1 in pot has died back but has been producing small plants that the koi have knocked out of the pot. those plants are starting to root at the bottom of the tank & growing leaves.

the creeping Jenny i have growing around my yard could be used as a submerged pond/aquarium plant but i have tried & it just doesn't like to be submerged for long & dies.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled some grass out of pond thinking it might grow in aquarium-NO. Think it needs more light and humus that I don't have.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did someone say aquarium and live plants???
2017-03-26 21.09.49.jpg

Lots of box stores sell plants that are not true aquatic plants.
And many need high light and fertilizers.

Crypt, java moss, wisteria, java fern, Süsswassertang, some hygrophila & anubias grow in low light.
Vals, swords & rotala grow well in medium-low light.
Most are feeders from water column, others heavy root feeders.

I'll have a bunch of crypt and vals for sale once temps are 70 regularly.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
some plants go through shock & will eventually grow back but when the stem just dies its apparent it won't make it. Vals (jungle val) are supposed to be good for low light tanks & easy to care but can quickly overtake a tank. the last time i pulled some plants to clean the tank i pulled the vals & forgot to put them back in before they dried out.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
OP, what lighting do you have, wattage, hours it is on, and tank temp? What substrate? Which plants have you tried?

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
@secuono let me know how much for some vals. i am looking to replace those i lost.

I think all I have is Spiral Vals. IDK where the regular Vals went. =/
Usually stuff a small priority box full, $10. Depending on length, 1-3in babies or 1-2ft, roughly 15-40 can fit.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
@secuono good to see you posting again :frow

:frow
I end up at BYH a ton more, lol.
I've decided to give up on half of my front yard, going to fence it for livestock to use it instead, lol. The evil grass won. :hit

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sand substrate.
Light from 8AM till 10-10:30.
73 degrees
No idea of watts as it's standard aquarium bulb.
Had a small sword that I planted in container with potting soil under sand. It is steadily getting worse after 2+ years.