Plants for aquariums -

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a small 20 gallon with just a few fish-otto's, 4 cories, 4 tetras and a few guppies. (Want tetras to eat guppies-tired of them).

I can kill plants easily-black thumb of death with aquarium plants. Need some suggestions as I'm WAY too stubborn to quit but too tight to keep buying plants....

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@seedcorn Go have your water tested. Many times your guppies will be fin burned or just slowing down from water conditions so that others will "git" them. Some tetras are fin nippers but neon tetras should not be. Plants will break down if you have a bad water test. Test for pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Test should be free at a local fish store.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use a gravel in my 20 gallon called flora max. Might be why the plants in that tank do well. About every other month I treat with a capfull of hydrogen peroxide to breakup the o2 in the tank. Occasionally I will put some fertilizer in the tank.

Anubias do ok in this tank & I have some other plants hiding in the moss. Also some temple plants. They are supposed to be forgiving if you have low light or brackish water. Also duckweed that ebbs & flows on its growth. If I get too much I throw it in the koi tank.

If anyone wants some of the java moss I would send you some! :D

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@waretrop No guppies doing fine as are the other fish. Since I don't get algae, nitrogen not a problem. Ph is basic and water is hard. We use a water softener but still leans toward hard size.

Been reading on substrates. Others bragging up seachem fluorite.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They make plastic ones for folks like you Seed. :D
I have a small 20 gallon with just a few fish-otto's, 4 cories, 4 tetras and a few guppies. (Want tetras to eat guppies-tired of them).

I can kill plants easily-black thumb of death with aquarium plants. Need some suggestions as I'm WAY too stubborn to quit but too tight to keep buying plants....
I think you should give yourself a break.. I believe nurseries continually sell inappropriate plants.I think aquarium plants are even worse. They also do not give correct directions for a multitude of seeds.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat your so right. At display for aquarium plants I found several which in tiny letters says top of plant must be out of water.My fish love eating duck weed, lucky I have tons in pond.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's because many of these so called aquatic plants are really marginal and bog plants rather than emersed aquatic plants.

Latest posts