Please help? Is it too hot?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use straw on newspaper for mulch. It certainly helps with the moisture and also helps keep diseases in the soil from getting splashed up on the plants. I'm thinking specifically about blight on that. I like the soaker hoses for the same reason.

AL

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have an idea!!! I have a leaky johnboat and 2 old water troughs that I can plant container gardens in and shade them during the mid-day heat! I could mulch it and water it easily... and then in August plant my big garden!

Sound like it will work?

If I can shade them say 11am - 1 or2 pm could I plant tomatoes that way?

(yes, I know that is a ghetto-fabulous way to garden... but they will be in my garden plot that has blocked visibility on 3 sides and the 4th side is my parents house)

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:gig Sorry but this sounds like something I would have come up with. Terrific idea. Reminds me of a chicken tractor :plbb

AL

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:D

I have no shame..... I'll be the next star of the "You might be a redneck if.... you plant tomatoes in a johnboat." :p

AL

Leafing Out
Reaction score
So the other evening I went out to scratch up a plan on planting my garden.... and I have tons of peas coming up! So no planting here.... I will just let it ride and "what will be, will be". I have some leftover corn seed so I am going to put some out and jsut not worry about it too much. I do still plan to do my johnboat tomato patch though. :D

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's a small flat bottom boat. Typically they have bench seats. Used to be wooden and really flat. Nowadays they are aluminum and have a ribbed bottom. Good for fishing and duck hunting as they are pretty stable. Although I have seen a few that were....ummm...souped up a bit... ala way too much engine for the size and weight. :)