Please help landscaping infront of porch! Update with pics!

ahbee01

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I need ideas! This is the bed we cut, it receives afternoon to evening sun, from like 2 till dark! There is a large tree that filterers the sun for a few hrs. We will be installing a railing on the front porch sometime this summer, but that may have to wait!
All the plants I wanted will not work well there so I need ideas! I want color and low maintenance!

I would like both shrubs and flowers! But don't want it to look like a jungle!
Here are some pics! Can anyone help!
I like azaleas and thinking some knock out roses!!!
I also need to move a hydrangea so if it could go in that bed let me know!!!
Thanks for any ideas
Brenda

I did talk to a ladyat a plant store and all she suggested was bushes!

DSCN3070.jpg

DSCN3069.jpg

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you want low maintenance, put in bushes. I would put in some evergreens: maybe look for a variety of greens like blue-green, and yellow-green. Patterns too. I have this evergreen plant that will grow in deep shade and its leaves are big green ovals spattered with gold dots (will look up the name later). Then add some flowering deciduous shrubs, like your knock out roses, if they get enough sun (I don't have experience with them). Try to find things that will bloom at different times so you will have at least one thing blooming from spring to fall. I love hydrangeas and they should do well in your bed. Be careful with spacing, cause things can get too big and then there goes the low maintenance cause you have to trim, dig stuff up, etc. Or buy things that won't get too big. Good Luck!

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would make sure what ever you plant is of a dwarf variety so it will not get to big. Azaleas have a variety that has small leaves and flowers, how about Hostas, they come back every years. Japenese Maples are slow growing specimens, I have the regular and the lacy leaf variety in my yard because we have a lot of shade here to. Annuals that like shade are Begonias and Impatience and I'm sure plenty of others too. Do a lot of research online to help you. Good Luck, I bet you'll make it look fabulous.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First, what zone are you in?

In the absence of knowing that right now, all of the following suggestions assume you're in something like USDA zone 4-6. If you're further south there are more options.

If you want azaleas, make sure you can provide the acid humusy evenly-moist soil they need, and recognize that you will probably get a bit reduced flowering if they get that much shade. They'd still look nice though, so if your soil is right and you can water them as needed, go for it. They'll restrict you to mulch or a very easy-care groundcover like sweet woodruff, though, since you don't wanna be having to dig or cultivate anywhere around their roots.

Roses you have borderline too much shade for -- if you want to try 'em, research your cultivars verrrrry carefully and pick something known for shade tolerance and resistance to fungus diseases.

Other options:

If you want a kind of loose, country-style informal look, consider a row of bridalwreath spirea (the big ones - S. vanhouttei) along the porch foundation. (Tastes vary, but I really like them - nice shape, pretty white flowers in spring, nice colors in fall, can't kill 'em with a stick). Or a row of modest-sized hydrangeas if you like that. If you want a large shrub for the corner, something like snowball bush (Viburnum opulus 'rosea') or a big peegee hydrangea might work, just keep them pruned a little so's not to overhang into the porch. Or a yew, allowed to grow both out and *up*, might look nice at the corner. Or for something lighter and airier at the corner, perhaps a pagoda dogwood (Cornus alterniflora), or a 'real' flwoering dogwood for that matter if blight is not a big problem in your area, or an amur maple if you want to wuss out and go with something really hardy. With any arrangement of the above shrubs/trees, you could face them with things like daylilies, yarrows, etc.

If you don't want anything as high as the porch railing, just smaller things, daylilies are always good. You could probably get *some* blooms from a small lilac such as little-leaf or 'palibin'. Some clematis varieties would do well there, as long as you put a rock or heavy mulch over their roots... you could plant, say, 3 along the base of the porch and have little trellises for them to climb up. or if you like yellow, C. tangutica will take over the whole front railing and give you little yellow flowers and fluffy seedheads from early summer thru fall.

There are a LOT of perennials to choose from that would be suitable, although some of them such as peonies you might not want right there where you have to look at the dying foliage in the late summer or fall.

So I dunno, maybe you can find something useful in the above; if you decide more exactly what sort of plants you're looking for, we can probably make more specific suggestions.

Have fun! :)

Pat

ahbee01

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I live in Ohio, zone 5! After 2:00 I think the bed will receive straight sun, because the tree is very high and when it starts to set it goes below the tree! Also the weather always comes threw that way! Thank for your suggestions, keep them coming. I need plant names and ideas! If this was your house what would you do!
I was thinking of some kind of boarder a long the walk, and I have iris and day lilies on the other side,
and coral bells. I need to split the day lilies already so I can put them in there!
I was worried about the straight sun after 2, burning things!
I thought that the azaleas would look good on the two rounds near the side where the hostas are growing.
I would like to do purple and like a hot pink?(Any colors that go with that!
what would you suggest near the back by the railings flowering shrubs? I don't care if it goes as high as the rail, I just don't want it to look like I over planted when the things grow full size!
If I planted a dog wood, where would you put it, I seen a really pretty pink one I liked, but have no clue what kind it was! I will have to look threw the books! I just looked and it is full sun out there right and it is 3:41pm!(The sun only peeked out for a few min. it's been cold and rainy here all weekend!)
I stink at flower arranging!If I could afford it I would have someone come and do it for me!
I like the Spirea, there is a peppermint stick variety that I think is pretty!
I'm so lost!
Brenda

ronaldo_lova

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I think you could put in some herbs. Maybe some Rosemary, Thyme, Basile, Oregano, and Chives. That comment is coming from a person that loves herb gardens.
I wish the best of luck!!

Cailin :happy_flower

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just about to say that!!! I like a dual purpose flower and herbs can make your porch sittin' so very nice....also tend to keep mosquitos an such away. On that tall side you might try some purple or pink coneflowers and Russian sage then English lavender and Chamomile on the corner to blend the pastels and the height down into the shorter herbs in the front. Most herbs do well in sun and partial shade, as far as I know, and need little tending after getting started. Oh, what fun to start with a clean slate! I would choose varieties that would be tall enought to soften the straight lines of the porch floor without growing too tall and cluttered. Nice house by the way! Very pretty!

P.S. I think the pastels and whites would accentuate the colors of your house.

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I see a rambling rose on the end of your porch growing on lattice, choose on that is very fragrant. Since you have grey siding --choose one that is hot pink.

In front of your house you should use dwarf or very low growing plants that will not block you beautiful porch. There are lots of nice dwarf/ mini hollies will smooth round leaves. But there are lots of other var. to choose from for the foundation plants.

Love the way you bed is curved. Along your walk you could use daylilies all one color/var. to add punch.

What fun...enjoy and remember to add more pictures of progress...