Please help landscaping infront of porch! Update with pics!

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would put 3 knockout roses in front of the porch in the center. put the hydrangea at the end of the porch. and then off the left corner of the porch out in front put some silvery foliaged irises or agapanthas if that grows there. by the steps i'd probably put iris or agapanthas OR a large flattish pot with a sago palm (since you would probably have to bring it in up there?). take those rocks you have and scatter them in the front near the steps and plant some purple heart in among them.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ronaldo_lova said:
I think you could put in some herbs. Maybe some Rosemary, Thyme, Basile, Oregano, and Chives. That comment is coming from a person that loves herb gardens.
I wish the best of luck!!

Cailin :happy_flower
Way too much shade for herbs there. She's going to have to stick to things like azaelas, hosta, hydrangeas, astilbes, etc. There are some climbing roses that will take shade. Unless the sun contains the noon hour then it's considered partial shade, and you'll have to go with things that do well in those conditions.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ronaldo_lova said:
My herbs did perfectly in the shade!! :smack
Then your herbs got more sun than you thought. Seriously, they aren't, for the most part, shade lovers. Sweet Cecily, lemon balm or any other mint will do ok, oregano seems to be able to take some shade, but most will get leggy in as much shade as the original poster described.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to agree with Ann here.

We had a herb garden placed in a what we thought was a shady corner. We planted here because we just had no room. Well come to find out is during the spring and summer it gets a lot more sun than we thought and the plants did well. The back of the area still gets more shade and the mint does do okay there.

Either way. Shade or no shade a lot of different factors could of helped your herb garden grow.

ahbee01

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love all the replies, thanks!I will post what I decide and then I will post pics!
If anyone else can suggest anything, keep up the ideas!I really appreciate your help!
Brenda

calee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You have a perfect front porch! A woodland theme would be beautiful. A dogwood just to the left corner of the porch would give it height without being too heavy. The posts would look lovely with dainty woodland vines climbing up them. Maybe hostas and ferns mixed with forget-me-nots, toadflax, bluebells, bleeding heart, lily-of-the-valley, and cyclamen for the main part of the bed. A big piece of wood, a birdbath, or a cluster of tall stacked rocks just to the left of the path would be interesting.

Also, not to be all wet-blankety... but my advice is not to put anything too big right in front of the window/door area of your porch. It's a security risk. I'd put taller shrubs on the side behind the swing and just a little around the corner towards the front to make a semi-private alcove. You'll be able to see into the alcove when you drive up into the driveway, but you'll get a little privacy yourself from the road when you're sitting in the swing. It'll also make a pretty backdrop for photos.

Good luck!

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
calee said:
You have a perfect front porch! A woodland theme would be beautiful. A dogwood just to the left corner of the porch would give it height without being too heavy. The posts would look lovely with dainty woodland vines climbing up them. Maybe hostas and ferns mixed with forget-me-nots, toadflax, bluebells, bleeding heart, lily-of-the-valley, and cyclamen for the main part of the bed. A big piece of wood, a birdbath, or a cluster of tall stacked rocks just to the left of the path would be interesting.
I agree! All of these plants came to my mind too...I have two shrubs to add with pretty spring flowers and great fall color that like late afternoon sun: Clethra and Fothergilla.

~Phyllis

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those who are suggesting things like dogwood and (especially) fothergilla or clethra might wish to keep in mind that the original poster is in zone 5 Ohio and this is a western (i.e. upwind side of house) exposure. I seriously doubt that fothergilla will survive at all; clethra quite possibly won't; and I fear a dogwood would languish and eventually succumb to anthracnose or blight or whatever it is.

;)

Pat