Please Tell Me Easy Fix $$$$

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Double handle cold works fine

The Moen cartridge is made with brass, then machined in a way for hot and cold water to flow depending on how the handle is turned to moderate how warm or cold one desires. There is a spiral groove with a neoprene "o " ring gasket that directs the water flow eather hot or cold. Over time, calcium deposits, sand , or even ware of the gasket may form on one side or the other to restrict the modulation of hot / cold. I have seen a 149 unit Student Aparment complex ( 120 had 2 bathrooms occupied by 3-5 students in each ) that was in constant use for over 30 years with only having to replace 9 shower cartridge valves. Moen is arguably to best control valves made.

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went to take Morning shower turned on hot water nothing. Cold water working, hot water both bathroom and kitchen sinks fine. Took shower last night everything worked. In past when problem with hot water always water just not hot. Now no water at all
My husband and I can do most any home repairs. We hire electricians for real electrical but can install lighting fixtures and dimmer switches. We draw the line at plumbing. Our first do it yourself simple plumbing moment ended in a Lucy/Desi moment.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband and I can do most any home repairs. We hire electricians for real electrical but can install lighting fixtures and dimmer switches. We draw the line at plumbing. Our first do it yourself simple plumbing moment ended in a Lucy/Desi moment.

i replaced the main kitchen faucet and the drains. Mom wants white fixtures. hardly anyone had anything i knew she would like. finally found one, off brand, didn't want to get it but knew i'd hear about it otherwise so just did it anyways... i got it done and it looks fine, but the fixture hasn't held up to cleaning liquids needed to get the rust stains off so it will eventually have to be replaced again. if i stay here longer term i'll redo the sink and faucet with brushed stainless steel instead of white.

i'll need to eventually redo the utility bathroom and shower drain again (i already redid the shower once to take care of leaks around the edges). not looking forwards to that but again holding out because if i were to redo it i would want to redo the tile in rust color. which Mom would hate (it's not white) but i don't care what it looks like as long as it is clean and rust color would fit in ok with the rest of the house trim. the old plastic is white and a pain to keep clean and the surround is going to fall apart sometime. we don't even use the main shower in the main bathroom at all because of the rusty water and not wanting to have to clean it (yes, it's white too arg)... i may eventually get rid of that too just a waste of space. could be another small shower and more shelf space in there... etc. always something to think about... :)

Latest posts