Plumerias/Oleanders

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi...Just wondering if anyone else grows Plumerias or Oleanders? I just got my first Plumerias last Spring...and my first scented Oleanders (from Spain)....a year ago....I really love these plants....Best to all, Rusty

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am sure you already know this, but Oleanders are poisonous, apparently even if you burn the prunings, the smoke is said to be toxic.

Only what I have read, just thought I would mention it.

But they are lovely.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
jojo...My Plumerias haven't flowered yet...still too young...I have 6. I hope they get as nice as the ones I saw in Hawai'i. When I do get my first blooms...I'll try and get some nice photos.....and Warthog....yes...I know that the Oleanders are VERY poisoness....the variety that I have has double blooms, a soft delicate peach color and fragrance. It should bloom again this Spring. Thank you for the advice just the same...it will help others who may not have known. Rusty

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have 3 plumerias planted on our property in Southern California that are about 12 years old now and about 10-14 feet tall.

They are beautiful! Wish we could grow them up here in Northern California but they could never take the cold. The wind sure does beat them up in So Cal though. The challenge has been keeping the soil well drained since it's mostly clay. We had a few rot out a few years back because of excessive moisture.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Plumerias here in Northern Michigan are unheard of....:lol:.....I have a spare room in the house solely devoted to my tender plants that need to be protected from the cold. My plants are about 4 ft. tall right now...I don't know where I'll put them when they get taller than me....:/....I would love to see photos of yours in bloom.....Thanks for sharing!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
Plumerias here in Northern Michigan are unheard of....:lol:.....I have a spare room in the house solely devoted to my tender plants that need to be protected from the cold. My plants are about 4 ft. tall right now...I don't know where I'll put them when they get taller than me....:/....I would love to see photos of yours in bloom.....Thanks for sharing!
I'll take some pics this summer and post. Or if I find some older ones I'll post those.

Reaction score
I have a plumeria I bought in Hawaii, when the temps drop below 45 I put it in my master bath. The steam seems to help it make it thru the winter. It is 5 years old and has bloomed for the last three.

Keep repotting in they quickly out grow pots.

Good luck with in.

Latest posts