Poisonous Snakes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may have been a purveyor of misinformation on Journey's topic about her newly repaired tiller. I was talking about rattlesnakes and so caution dictated that I read a little about their range in this area . . . not to have people stomping around and getting bit because olde digitS' said they didn't need to be cautious!

Anyway, I read some of a study of the critters in Washington State. Very scientific - where might they be and what keeps them from being elsewhere. It didn't give elevation boundaries to their range, however. It was apparent that climate restricts the range. The study actually said that Latah & Benewah Counties in Idaho have ideal terrain for rattlesnakes but they are not found there because of the climate.

I am at 2,000 feet elevation and suggested that the snakes are about 1,000 feet lower. However . . . the BC government information says that they are in the southern-most part of the province up to 625 meters. Weeelllll ! You can't get any closer to 2,000 feet than 625 meters without using a yard stick!

Additionally, I have seen a rattlesnake at Downs Lake in Washington. Checking google, I find that Downs Lake is at 1,961 feet! Yikes! I was thinking it was lower because it is off to the southwest about 100 miles. I guess it would need to be more west than it is south . . . Well, anyway! I feel fairly safe from rattlesnakes here. What any additional warming to the climate might bring is something to be seen.

Steve :/

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This rattlesnake was killed across the street from our house. That's DH's size 11 next to the snake. It was over 5 feet long and had 13 rattles and a button. :lol:

7949_rattlesnake_bj_foot.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up in southern Oregon.

At one farm, there was nothing on the other side of the south fence but an irrigation canal running thru the trees and then, more trees and the Siskiyou Mountains.

We were always, always, always told that if we were not careful walking in the woods, we would either get in poison oak or be bit by a rattler. I grew up thinking that I could not step across something if I couldn't see on the other side of it. It is really a pretty good way to teach a kid. Still, I got in poison oak . . .

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am more than happy to keep our bull snakes and garter snakes. Yes we could have some timber rattlers, but they seem to stay in rockier areas than our woods and prairie like open areas. Baymule, that snake gives me the willies. My cousin lived in WY when her girls where little. She would patrol the yard with a hoe and dispatch any rattle snakes before taking the girls out to play! OMG. She kept the rattles and had quite a few. :th

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That scientific paper I skimmed thru talks about the habitat requirements of the rattlesnake. In an environment that has just what they need - there you will find them.

Of course, this makes sense but since they are cold-blooded critters, the places they live have to take southern exposure into account. Also things like available food sources and presence of rocks for dens. It all becomes very limited as you approach the borders of their ranges.

Finally, you arrive somewhere like those Idaho counties mentioned and the habitat is perfect except the one element of climate fails and the rattlesnake population number is zero. If winter cold has anything to do with it -- those Idaho counties may be in trouble. We have had 2 winters with the coldest weather being about 10 or 15 degrees warmer than average.

It may be a little surprising that Wyoming would have many rattlesnakes. Your cousin's home must have been in fairly ideal rattlesnake country, Carol Dee. Now Texas . . . .

Steve
clinging to the border

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The good thing about rattlers is that they will avoid you whenever possible. When out on a hike in rattler country you pass dozens of them for every one you see. Snakes can't hear sounds in the air but are very sensitive to vibrations through the ground. A Ute Indian in Nevada told me that if you stomp your foot on the ground every few steps you will never see a snake because they know you are coming and get out of the way.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
as the drought persists here, I keep expecting to see a rattlesnake. they are found within a 15 - 20 mi distance from here. in our area there are copperheads, coral snakes, water moccasins - I NEVER have seen any of them on my place, but we have a hefty population of rat snakes. I keep wondering if they keep the others out.
the other evening I heard a baby rabbit scream. it was being killed by a rat snake in a prickly pear patch.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The water moccasins are the ones that spook me. They seem to always be looking for a fight.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A dead rattlesnake can still bite hours after being killed. Lots of people make the mistake of cutting off the head then thinking its safe. They pick up the head and get bit.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year there was a teen girl bit by a rattle snake in the Dishman hills natural area in the Spokane valley. I do not think that we have a large population in this area but there are some around. I think a camper was bitten this spring by one at Lake Ellen, which is around 3000 feet Elev. I am with Steve though I am not really worried about them here, way to few and far between to walk around in snake boots or wearing gators lol. Now that I've said that I will probably walk outside and get bit lol...:)

Latest posts