Poke's meat/show chicken raising thread

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So by request I'm going to have this thread about my chickens. My show chickens arrived last week, they are the beginning to a breeding/show group I will be doing. Their first show should be this fall HOPEFULLY we got 24 originally but with the latest being this afternoon 6 have gone.
My meat chickens arrived this morning from Welp, 27 were one didn't make it and one probably won't. The best three will go to county fair and the auction. Those that aren't chosen will be put in the freezer from my dad and brother.

Note: at this point I won't be home next week, unless the Fort Carson expands.

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been watching one suffer, it is probably one of the hardest things I've done. I have a feeling he still go tonight

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is hard to understand, but it is a normal part of life. Perhaps it is the feeling that they depend and trust you totally that makes losing them harder on the farmer than most people would understand.

Knowing that you give them the best care and living conditions -- far better than commercial livestock -- makes eating one far easier than losing one.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
As many as I have put in the freezer over the years, I am always sad to have to put a sick one down before its time. :(

Did I hear you say you were doing some Cornish cross this summer too?

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah.
I'm glad to say that the little one went to God's arms this afternoon.
I also realized I have a could that should hatch tomorrow.

Poka_Doodle

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's a very long story. Long ago my brother had a friendly hen. Then when I started looking at show birds and getting a friendly breed they were a great one. Then at show I realized that my hen would be a good showmanship bird. One year later we won the buckle. She had been sick a little over time including before show. In October she got sick so I put her in isolation with her sister. I put her back with the other birds before leaving for Washington. I was told she was well while I was gone. I got back at 1 am on Halloween and when I went out that morning Pumpkin, that chicken, was dead.

Latest posts