Poll: Is Your Air Cleaner or Dirtier than Years Past

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if I can figure out how to do any sort of slick, multi-answer poll like Nifty did.

:) It doesn't matter, this is just a Yes/No and then please give a why and how you might know :).

I've lived in this valley with a couple 100k other people for nearly 50 years. I can remember driving thru the populated areas at this time of year and crying . . . for miles! Heating with wood was very common then. The air was wretched. Even with more people, our air is generally cleaner now.

A little off-topic: There is a big splash coming off Vancouver Island this morning. It doesn't look like much moisture but maybe there is more behind it. The WS says 2" to 5" of snow over the next 24 hours. More than that to the South.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is always (almost) a wind from the north or west here, and there are no polluting factories or cities out that way, so our air is clean, as far as I can tell. We do have a neighbor who thinks it is still ok to burn his garbage, so when there is a southerly breeze, we get the stench of burning plastic and God knows what else. DH has figured out that if the wind is just...right...he can pay the guy back by burning our weed/sticks pile.
This is the neighbor who mowed over a bunch of paper trash during a southerly wind, blowing the tiny pieces all over our 3-acre property. DH, who has been called...let us say...a stickler for detail, picked up every piece of paper and took them back to the neighbor. With a few words through clenched teeth. :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Clean air isn't always the total answer. Yeah.

On the northern California coast, the air was blowing off the Pacific nearly constantly. And, I mean constantly! Or, dang near . . . Maybe it was because I wouldn't dress right. Maybe it was because I started off sick! Maybe it was because I was a smoker then . . . gee, do you think?!

I had chronic bronchitis when I lived there.

Steve

_____
bleeding-heart-flower-1_zps9453f211.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I 'hear' that our air is a bit dirtier than in past years. Not because of the locals, but because there is more industrialization toward the prevailing winds that gets blown here. I haven't seen any difference in the air quality out here in the boondocks.

Latest posts