Pomegranites

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I got some pomegranites in the mail last fall from a gal in california. I took all the fruit as they were handled rather badly and quickly put all the seed in the freezer.

My question is... what do I do now with the frozen seed that has been in the freezer for several months? AND How much longer will it be good?

Arklady

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Arklady said:
I got some pomegranites in the mail last fall from a gal in california. I took all the fruit as they were handled rather badly and quickly put all the seed in the freezer.

My question is... what do I do now with the frozen seed that has been in the freezer for several months? AND How much longer will it be good?

Arklady
Hmmmm, I have never tried to freeze Pomegranate seeds. We eat them fresh here. Have you defrosted any to see if they are "mushy" or not?

If they are mushy, you could still juice them. And depending on the temperature of your freezer they would keep about three months according to this website anyhow...

http://www.chow.com/ingredients/21

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I suggest that you thaw out the pom seeds, making sure to catch any juice while thawing. Then, put the seeds into a chenios (sp), that cone-shaped collander with a wooden masher thingy. Mash up the seeds to gather the juice and make pom jelly. I did this years ago when I had a very prolific tree in CA and it worked great. Oh, I forgot to say, drain the juice through cheesecloth overnight as this makes for a more clear jelly.

arabookworm

Sprout
Reaction score
maybe you can eat them frozen like itty bitty pomegranite popsicles?

Latest posts