Posting Old Garden Pictures - Family memories

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I don't have any myself right now, but I was hoping some of you may want to share some old family photos in the garden?! I thought it would be a nice thread, and would show the diversity over the generations with the gardens of the past.

So if you have photos, please share them... and the dates too!

My aunt swears she has some of my grandparents out in the garden somewhere, I asked her to find them. Some from when they were kids, some from when I was a kid. If she gets them to me I will be able to share myself.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh if only there were some photos of my aunt Eleanore's gardens! One was most of the way down the east slope of Mt. Tamailpais above San Anselmo...ninnymary will know the area at least some...Her back yard was very large and sloped steeply upward. So it was retaining walled with brick and concrete, probably back in the 1920's. Each layer of it was probably 6 feet higher than the one below it, and at least 5 layers. She had all kinds of ivy geraniums draping down some of them, english ivy on others, and yes, Jasmine all over the place.

I still have dreams of that place. What magic! And they had an old huge 1925 or 1930 car, what counted as a station wagon in the garage.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This isn't really a picture of a garden, V'.

4989_chrystal_donald_robin_with_nadine_in_front.jpg

These are my mom's youngest brothers & sister. They are just "kids in their mom's garden."

I'd guess that it is about 1930. They are all gone now.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have photos ,but i have better PLANTS. My father still lives in house he grew up in. My grandmother planted hosta, lily of the valley. lilacs, and rose of sharon all which I have moved to my garden.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Steve that is a GREAT pictures!!! :D

Marshall, that sounds AMAZING!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a feeling most early memory garden photos will be in the mind's eye.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first memories are of my grandmother's garden.

We lived with her for about a year when I was 3. She had a very large garden in California, flowers in one place and vegetables another. I can still move thru that garden in my mind.

We moved to Oregon after that and I only saw her when she visited. There were things that fascinated me in her garden, like the foxglove flowers.

Steve

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My paternal great grandparents owned a sizeable dairy farm in NH. My mother was raised on a small farm in Maine. Sadly there seems to be no pictures. The only one I have of my family's dairy farm is a family shot of them in their Sunday best standing in front of the farmhouse.

I do personally love seeing them though. Great post vfem. I hope some more pictures are shared. Cute picture digitS. :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My aunt finally found the pictures, and I'm in awe! I'm so happy to have these pictures now. :)

Grandma in the corn field 1976:
5842_grammy_with_tall_corn_july_1976.jpg

Grandpa's turn 1976:
5842_grampy_with_tall_corn_july_1976.jpg

Photo of my mother, grandmother and great-grandmother with me in 1979:
5842_4_generations_-_shannon_with_mom_grammy_great_grammy_1979.jpg