Posting Old Garden Pictures - Family memories

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
So glad she found those pictures... what a treasure! Gardening surely was in your blood!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I have to check to make sure what year it is right now. The special photo of your great grandma, grandma, mom, and you all alive and happy together made me wistful.

3 of my grandparents were born in the 1870's! Mom's mother was born in 1888, and she was 35 when she had mom. Our family both sides has long generations. Only actual grandparent still alive when I was born was dad's mother. I remember her well, but she was very old. In her widowed old age she married a very old widower in town. So he was "Grandpa Pete", nice old guy. He was a gardener. This was up in Montana, Twin Bridges, where I spent summers. Ole Grandpa Pete died less than a month after President Kennedy, so that Christmas vacation was going up to Montana, just me with mom and dad. He used to grow the coolest Carrots. It was strange to me to see his garden in winter, frozen and overgrown, white. His rusty Studebaker driven off to be field parked.

Dad's mother was too old for much gardening, very frail, very tall, old fashioned deep set eyes, but she seeded jonny jump ups in the lawn, always had forsythia, and spoke of the move from Virginia on horseback with her father who was a union civil war veteran. Dad said it was before there were cars. Cowboy and Indian days. She was born in 1878. They very nearly settled directly in Yellowstone because of the hot waters there, but decided on I guess it was Minnesota first, and then Montana, a small place called Polaris. She was the teacher at the school there. I drove there a few times when I lived in Montana. That schoolhouse has fence rows of Forsythia all around it.

I'm babbling, lol! Getting more like dad all the time...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do love hearing your stories too Marshall, so share on! :D

Latest posts