potato experiment 2012

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love a good potato growing experiment! We've got the awfullest red clay soil here and I'm always trying to get out of digging them. :gig

I did potatoes in large wire baskets one year, but they were too dry and didn't grow well (probably more my fault for not keeping up with them). Then last year I did above-ground potatoes where you put down newspaper, toss around some blood meal, bone meal and compost, set your seed potatoes and periodically cover them thickly in straw. I got some of the biggest potatoes I've ever grown or seen, however the voles munched big bites out of almost every one of them! :rant As my daughter and I dug them, we counted 12 little voles making a run for it. If the youngin' hadn't been present, I might have been inclined to do some stomping. :p It did at least make good ground prep for my strawberry patch for this year.

My uncle did something similar to yours, ShowMe, with the trash cans. He drilled holes in the sides of his for drainage though. He said it worked out pretty good. I would try it too, if I could get my hands on some old trash cans that I didn't mind to cut up. Trash cans might work better to keep the voles out?

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Journey try putting a wanted on craigslist or freecycle. That's what I plan on doing. I've also thought about trying to get 5 gallon buckets and use them. My beds probably fit 8-10 more trash can halves. With no bottoms in them I didn't add any additional drainage holes.

I did have something living under one of them, the nest lined with feathers made me think mouse. I found that somewhat odd since when I watered it would most likely would've flooded its little home.

I have plenty of horses to provide compost. We currently have 5 horses and 2 ponies. I cheat when it comes to scooping tho, we have a front loader on our tractor. I can usually smile at hubby and he'll tractor for me. LOL! At the end of winter last year we had a compost pile in the drylot that was about 10' in diameter and over 5' tall. Now it's down to about 2' tall and waiting for me to get it worked in the garden beds that I plan on using next year. In the past we just raked the dry lot when we moved the hay bales in there, then it struck me to pile out of the way to use later. So now I get plenty from them and the goats. Gardens should be fab next year as long as the weather tries to cooperate :)

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just got deliverd...9 cu yards of horse manure and sawdust shavings.!!!! :celebrate From CL. Not a bad price either. I'm tickled pink. :weee

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
moxies_chickienuggets said:
I just got deliverd...9 cu yards of horse manure and sawdust shavings.!!!! :celebrate From CL. Not a bad price either. I'm tickled pink. :weee
I have horses and I truly understand your excitement. Who else but a gardener would be excited about a truck load of horse CRAP? :lol: :lol: